Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
If they properly secured them, maybe.

But just for shits and giggles, should a licensed gun owner share some responsibility if a gun is stolen from his/her home and used in a crime? New York City sues gun shop owners in states with lax gun control laws when those guns are used to shoot NYPD officers. [[There have been over half a dozen cops shot in NYC this year so these law suits are pretty frequent.) If I were injured by a gun stolen from a private house then I'd be inclined to file suit against the original owner myself...
You'd have no ground to stand on that...and they have no liability. Gunshop owners MAY have bent rules, or knowingly used a strawman...or other means of getting guns into the hands of bad people...but if they followed the letter of the law, they don't have any culpability, either. Zero.

Some yahoos go back to the manufacturers, saying the weapons are only designed to take a life...but you might as well sue China for f'in' gunpowder and the Nobel empire for dynamite, too!

Now, if a homeowner laid a series of landmines around the perimeter of their property...or dug a moat...or electrified a fence [[always my fantasy security tool, a big burglar-sized bug-zapper just inside another fence)...then there is some room to sue.

If they left them lying around the house...with no locks or security...you'd have a reasonable case. But not if they were in a locked home with a security system. The only reasonable gun safes are those that open with the flat-hand quick access, but some might even fail to remember the combination under duress and extreme stress...when they need the weapon the most.

<sigh>

Then again, you're not in my choir...and might not clearly hear this wanton preaching...