Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

And where do all the people come from to make it work? In 1950, Detroit had 1.8m people. In 1980, the city had 1.2m. Now it has around 800,000 and still declining.

Light rail from downtown to Palmer Park is going to get half a million people to move back to the city?
    No, nor does it need to. The Palmer Park area probably couldn't house more than 20,000 people if everything were full, and there are already lots of people there.

Light rail will make the area a little more attractive. If it improves the retail around 6 and Woodward, it will make the area a fair bit more attractive. I have been considering moving to Palmer Park when I stop wanting to live in a house, and the light rail would make me more inclined to do so. That's still several years away, so I'll see what things are like then.
    Last edited by mwilbert; January-31-11 at 08:21 AM.