Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Given the traditionally stark differences in ethnic makeup between Detroit and its suburbs, I kinda understand the remark. Then again, the latest census proves that things are more complicated now. But, yeah, I feel ya, jt1: At a certain point, a dispassionate educated guess ends and some serious cultural chauvinism, if not outright racism, begins with this sort of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    At a certain point, a dispassionate educated guess ends and some serious cultural chauvinism, if not outright racism, begins with this sort of stuff.
    Probably about the point where it becomes necessary to mention that the offending parties are black... I mean "Detroiters".

Here's a test:

I'm not surprised by the news. My family used to meet at the Hyatt's restaurant on the 2nd floor for Sunday brunch. We stopped going a few years ago because the clientele was getting a little too rowdy. Large groups of people not always behaving politely in public. Sadly, the quality of their brunch buffet also dropped noticeably.
    I changed one little part of his original statement. Does the statement still make sense? Is the reasoning for his family not continuing to go to Sunday brunch at the Hyatt any less clear now? Did it ever matter what city the loud, obnoxious people lived in who crashed Sunday brunch at the Hyatt?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Probably about the point where it becomes necessary to mention that the offending parties are black... I mean "Detroiters".

Here's a test:

I changed one little part of his original statement. Does the statement still make sense? Is the reasoning for his family not continuing to go to Sunday brunch at the Hyatt any less clear now? Did it ever matter what city the loud, obnoxious people lived in who crashed Sunday brunch at the Hyatt?
    Good job. I understand. Even mentioning the race changes the entire meaning of the statement.
    Last edited by Detroitnerd; May-08-12 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Good job. I understand. Even mentioning the race changes the entire meaning of the statement.

But then I don't have any qualms about getting angry about drunken, idiotic, white suburbanites trashing downtown on Opening Day. And I can say that with a clear conscience. But why is that? Is it because I'm white? Is it because they're enacting a kind of chauvinism? Is it because the whites have not historically been the victims of racism? I think that's what confuses me.
    Well, it shouldn't matter there either [[am I understanding your point correctly?). Drunk people trashing downtown are drunk people trashing downtown. Them being white doesn't make a difference for what they did. And people of any race can get drunk and trash downtown.

However, "white" is the default for American so... there really isn't a stigmatization of a whole class of people by saying "drunk white suburbanites trashed downtown". If anything, that statement is more of a distinction to say that the people who trashed downtown on opening day aren't Detroiters and they aren't black [[Latino, Arab or Asian) -- or some other disenfranchised class of people. It's like saying "the terrorists who destroyed the Oklahoma City federal building were white". What that statement is really saying is that "the terrorists who destroyed the Oklahoma City federal building were not Muslims of Arab descent."