Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Brilliant minds such as Sugrue and Jacobs have already provided reasons for "The Tragedy of Detroit." Why do these armchair experts feel as if they have anything to add? Nothing in that essay is productive. It just re-diagnoses a problem that's been diagnosed over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Brilliant minds such as Sugrue and Jacobs have already provided reasons for "The Tragedy of Detroit." Why do these armchair experts feel as if they have anything to add? Nothing in that essay is productive. It just re-diagnoses a problem that's been diagnosed over and over again.
    Because the genius of Frosty Wooldridge--and people like him--works like this:

1. Hmmm. Problems exist all around me.

2. I don't like ________________. [[In this case, immigrants).

3. Therefore, the problems MUST be caused by immigrants!

And have you looked at the bio on his website??? Mr. Wooldridge has only had about a zillion different careers. I'm sure he excelled at each and every one of them. I wonder if God speaks directly to Frosty Wooldridge too.
    Last edited by ghettopalmetto; May-25-10 at 10:24 AM.

^ Good one!

Detroit has problems, the state has problems, and certainly the nation has problems. I just wish people wouldn't have this knee-jerk reaction about people who don't look like them.

Most of what's happening at the local, state, and national levels has nothing to do with race. It's all about socioeconomics and culture.

New York, San Francisco, Toronto, Los Angeles, and [[to certain extent), Chicago have been multicultural for decades, yet it still costs a king's ransom for a 1 bedroom apartment. Granted, the pace of arrivals is slowing because people increasingly prefer open space and, due to technology, jobs are no longer restricted to urban areas. However, new people are still arriving. How does this fit into Mr Wooldridge's theory?

This is just more racist teabagger crap. Mexicans running rampant? Muslims blarring their call to prayer everywhere?! Are you kidding me???!!!

ferntruth Guest

Funny how he doesn't seem to be bothered by Church bells ringing, only the Muslim call to prayer.

And Coleman Young perhaps the most corrupt mayor in America, next to Richard Daley?!
    Correct me if I am wrong, but Mayor Young was never indicted on any charges - where is the PROOF of corruption? I was not a fan of Mayor Young, but talk about an accusation with no facts to back it up...

Quote Originally Posted by ferntruth View Post
    Funny how he doesn't seem to be bothered by Church bells ringing, only the Muslim call to prayer.

And Coleman Young perhaps the most corrupt mayor in America, next to Richard Daley?!
    Correct me if I am wrong, but Mayor Young was never indicted on any charges - where is the PROOF of corruption? I was not a fan of Mayor Young, but talk about an accusation with no facts to back it up...
    You don't think that perhaps saying "at least he was never indicted" might undermine your point a little?

Quote Originally Posted by ferntruth View Post

Back in late thirties or early forties there abouts a Mayor and some hight ranking police officials in Detroit were sentenced to Prison for accepting bribes from some racketeers....

lincoln8740 Guest

^

Most of what's happening at the local, state, and national levels has nothing to do with race. It's all about socioeconomics and culture.
    Yep so right cause appalachian poor people are killing each other by the thousands as well

Sometimes political correctness is just so silly

By the way what CULTURE are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post
    Yep so right cause appalachian poor people are killing each other by the thousands as well

Sometimes political correctness is just so silly

By the way what CULTURE are you talking about?
    I said what I meant. The race of Detroiters doesn't mean a thing. I grew up in Detroit, but the culture I grew up in was one of achievement, uplift, positive role models, and social responsibility. I learned how to be a good person from home, school, church, and my neighbors. I learned how to delay gratification, and to sacrifice for my future and for the sake of others. I also learned thrift, loyalty, faith, and faithfulness. These were good old fashioned working class and middle class values that apply to successful individuals and families across all races and ethnicities. It is the CULTURE that built this nation.

Your mileage may vary, but you ought to just say what you mean instead of engaging in random attacks online. If you think that Detroit's problem is race, then just say so and explain why. But you should have learned that race =/= culture in Sociology 101.

I said what I meant. The race of Detroiters doesn't mean a thing. I grew up in Detroit, but the culture I grew up in was one of achievement, uplift, positive role models, and social responsibility. I learned how to be a good person from home, school, church, and my neighbors. I learned how to delay gratification, and to sacrifice for my future and for the sake of others. I also learned thrift, loyalty, faith, and faithfulness. These were good old fashioned working class and middle class values that apply to successful individuals and families across all races and ethnicities. It is the CULTURE that built this nation.

Your mileage may vary, but you ought to just say what you mean instead of engaging in random attacks online. If you think that Detroit's problem is race, then just say so and explain why. But you should have learned that race =/= culture in Sociology 101.
    I agree with much of what you wrote, just want to add our goodness is innate...and or we dont need a religious institution or religion to learn how to be caring compassionate human beings....church members [[of which there are many in Detroit) can be very divisive and antagonistic to fellow members of society.....true there are many rugged pull yourself up by the bootstraps small business owners and individuals in Detroit....Ive had the pleausure of knowing many of them on a personal level

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    I agree with much of what you wrote, just want to add our goodness is innate...and or we dont need a religious institution or religion to learn how to be caring compassionate human beings....church members [[of which there are many in Detroit) can be very divisive and antagonistic to fellow members of society.....true there are many rugged pull yourself up by the bootstraps small business owners and individuals in Detroit....Ive had the pleausure of knowing many of them on a personal level
    Agreed... thanks for pointing this out. Some of the very best people I know aren't Christians, and some of the worst have been regular churchgoers. It really does come down to what's in an individual heart!

lincoln8740 Guest

. It is the CULTURE that built this nation.

Way to dodge a simple question.

You stated in your previous fluff post that the problems Detroit faces today are due to socioeconomic and CULTURE

when i asked what CULTURE you were referring to, you instead, spouted off about some grandiose notion of your past and just dodged the question by answering a completely different one.

Good technique. I have seen people use that in depositions and on the stand. I also think I learned about it in law school.

But hey maybe I should have gotten a degree in English where I could be a librarian or a teacher, either way, I highly doubt someone has EVER worked in the private sector [[or ever will)--is that a CULTURAL thing too?