Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Someone's going to get hurt over this. Not everybody is going to just call the news and wait it out.

It's not just Detroit though [[in this area), there's a lot of squatters in Pontiac too. I have a relative in Chicago who wants to return to this area and she was being coached on how to squat in a house in Pontiac. She was really considering it, because she's been told - by these other despicable relatives whom I won't break bread with - that she can do it for as long as 2 years because either they have, are, or know someone who is.

What I don't get is how are utilities turned on? Last I heard if there are delinquencies on the water, gas or electric you cannot get these things turned on in your name; squatter or otherwise.

So what are the squatters doing when MICHIGAN WINTER comes, what are they doing for sanitation all year?

Quote Originally Posted by Detwa View Post
    Someone's going to get hurt over this. Not everybody is going to just call the news and wait it out....

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    What I don't get is how are utilities turned on? Last I heard if there are delinquencies on the water, gas or electric you cannot get these things turned on in your name; squatter or otherwise.

So what are the squatters doing when MICHIGAN WINTER comes, what are they doing for sanitation all year?
    Almost all have illegal hook-ups of gas and electric. If you think they sit there and freeze all Winter you're wrong. Think about that the next time you open up your gas bill.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Almost all have illegal hook-ups of gas and electric. If you think they sit there and freeze all Winter you're wrong. Think about that the next time you open up your gas bill.
    While many times they do, when DTE finds out [[you can call their theft reporting line) they cut it off at the pole. Sometimes that gets rid of the squatters. Remember, though, that virtually every Detroit home has a fireplace. Between that [[usually burning all the irreplacable woodwork in the house first) and an insanely dangerous kerosene heater, and candles for light, they often STILL stick around. Curl up by the fireplace, burn the banister, poop in your bucket - you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    While many times they do, when DTE finds out [[you can call their theft reporting line) they cut it off at the pole. Sometimes that gets rid of the squatters. Remember, though, that virtually every Detroit home has a fireplace. Between that [[usually burning all the irreplacable woodwork in the house first) and an insanely dangerous kerosene heater, and candles for light, they often STILL stick around. Curl up by the fireplace, burn the banister, poop in your bucket - you're good to go.
    There's guys out there who turn the utilities back on as a type of side job. They'll strap the spikes on their boots and climb up the pole like a Gazelle and re-attach to the house. As far as the gas service goes, just or fun one day I drove up Archdale from Joy road to Fenkell, I lost count of the illegal hook ups, 15- 20%, maybe more then that. I think about it most of the times I take out my checkbook to pay my gas bill.

How could you tell the gas was hooked up illegally? Just curious...

There's guys out there who turn the utilities back on as a type of side job. They'll strap the spikes on their boots and climb up the pole like a Gazelle and re-attach to the house. As far as the gas service goes, just or fun one day I drove up Archdale from Joy road to Fenkell, I lost count of the illegal hook ups, 15- 20%, maybe more then that. I think about it most of the times I take out my checkbook to pay my gas bill.

poop in your bucket - you're good to go That's just what the squatters next door to my house were doing. Bad water thrown out a second floor window every morning. Me with my hose out over the fence as soon as they left.

I was so stunned that I didn't leave right then. The neighbor on the other side immediately put her house up for sale but couldn't find a single buyer three years ago. maybe now if she tries again.

Ah yes that hidden 'subsidy' fee... wonderful!