Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Except the business group never said this. Read their release.

The business group said they aren't renewing their leases, a very different situation. The lawyers never responded to the business group claims, they just said "we aren't closing".

Also, smart businesses don't admit they're closing until they're actually closing. It kills patronage.

The zoo has nothing to do with downtown RO. The Emagine is a suburban format, with big parking lot. All communities have rib fests and random summer stuff.

This is obviously silly. Bham is a much bigger/more desirable core, and Rochester, while not bigger, is generally more desirable. Both communities have much better restaurants, and you don't have to pay for parking and look ugly for dinner.

But that isn't the issue. The issue is they don't want to, and don't have to.

You can scream "You must put on 17 layers of clothes and look like an eskimo if you want a plate of pasta" but the region has enough alternatives that no one needs to do this. Women can wear heels and look nice, babies can be easily transported, etc.

Last time I checked there wasn’t a “big parking lot”’adjacent to Emagine. Also, I am not sure how you can call it suburban? It abuts the public sidewalk with a multistory parking garage adjacent to it and has valet parking. What other theatre in a typical suburb has this?

Quote Originally Posted by cmubryan View Post
    Last time I checked there wasn’t a “big parking lot”’adjacent to Emagine. Also, I am not sure how you can call it suburban? It abuts the public sidewalk with a multistory parking garage adjacent to it and has valet parking. What other theatre in a typical suburb has this?
    I don't know what movie theaters you're talking about. There are big surface lots surrounding both RO movie theaters.

And the Emagine is a totally suburban format. The only difference with other Emagine theaters is that it's close to a downtown Main Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    And the Emagine is a totally suburban format. The only difference with other Emagine theaters is that it's close to a downtown Main Street.
    Well, there's the EMagine in Birmingham that has no surface parking to speak of, though it's next to a parking structure.