Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    you're not being dumb but you do know that there are two large strip mall parking lots that lined Woodward where participants could park their cars, heavily watched, in the lots.
    That kind of eliminates the "Cruise" part, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    That kind of eliminates the "Cruise" part, don't you think?
    Have you been to the Dream Cruise? There are different areas where people park for all or most of the cruise.

Maybe Detroit could start own Dream Cruise starting downtown then going down Jefferson to Chalmers.

Quote Originally Posted by Packman41 View Post
    Because the Dream Cruise is meant to be a "tribute" to the days back in the 1950s and 60s when kids cruised from drive-in to drive-in looking for members of the opposite sex. Everyone went north of 8 Mile to make the loop up to Square Lake Road. There was the Wigwam restaurant at 10 Mile then the Totem Pole. North of 12 Mile was Suzie Q's and so forth until you got to Ted's up at Square Lake Rd. Maybe you saw a "speed competition" on the dark stretches of Woodward north of Maple Road.

Then you did a U-turn and headed south and cruised the drive-ins to see who was there, what cars they were driving and who had the hot cars.

So the heritage and history of cruising was on that section of Woodward - north of 8 Mile and south of Square Lake Road. No conspiracy theories needed.

Even if you wanted to re-write history to fit a narrative the cruisers will go where they can be seen. I just made a lap of Woodward and there are tons of people lining Woodward from Long Lake Road to as far south as I went - 12 Mile Road.

My guess is no one is sitting in lawn chairs along Woodward south of 8 Mile.

You are right as far as a majority but there were maybe 15-20 of the fastest cars on Woodward that made Little Teds at Nevada and Woodward home base. We didn't get the rich suburban kids with Daddy's car, but we liked it that way!

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    This weekend is the Dream Cruise. I had always wondered why the Cruise never started in Detroit. Why not Highland Park in the parking lot in one of the massive strip malls that lined both sides of Woodward? Will Detroit ever participate in the Dream Cruise? Any thoughts or answers?
    The speed limit on Woodward in Highland Park is a ridiculously low 30 mph. I got a ticket there last year for going 37. They patrol like crazy there to generate revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Have you been to the Dream Cruise? There are different areas where people park for all or most of the cruise.
    Hi Pam, I avoid it if I can, but I have gone in the past. You're right, there ARE areas sectioned off where A/C Cobras, Corvettes, T-Birds, etc. gather, but the general atmosphere of the event is one of freedom, openess, and cruising around. Though there ARE security patrols @ the Dream Cruise, corralling everyone under lock and key, would take away from the event, IMO. I've also attended the Hot Rod show @ the now defunct State Fair Grounds. Those were fun too. These type of events events I attended @ strip malls and restaurant parking lots, not so much.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-15-14 at 09:11 AM.

Yeah, I've never had a speeding ticket, yet almost caught one there. HP officer gave me a stern warning for five over, then he speed away with his lights blazing to attend something more pressing!

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    The speed limit on Woodward in Highland Park is a ridiculously low 30 mph. I got a ticket there last year for going 37. They patrol like crazy there to generate revenue.

Right, park and look is for sure part of it. Some people park only and don't cruise their cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    You are right as far as a majority but there were maybe 15-20 of the fastest cars on Woodward that made Little Teds at Nevada and Woodward home base. We didn't get the rich suburban kids with Daddy's car, but we liked it that way!
    Being closer to the westend, we always did Telegraph. It used to be jam-packed on the weekends with fast cars. "If you can beat me, you can eat me".

I wouldn't take a Dub edition Cadillac down Woodward Ave. and Grand Blvd.

I guess the question is: why would Detroit want the Dream Cruise?

Taking this completely objectively, whether you love or hate the Dream Cruise, is there any positive economic impact to it? Most businesses seem to hate the constant gridlock that drives away their normal patronage. You're essentially just creating an artificial traffic jam.

Which brings me to the subjective: it is completely stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Right, park and look is for sure part of it. Some people park only and don't cruise their cars.
    That's because they want the spectators to walk around and oooh & aaaah over their cars.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    That's because they want the spectators to walk around and oooh & aaaah over their cars.
    To me it's like a gallery opening. Just another art form. Some are into it, some are not.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I guess the question is: why would Detroit want the Dream Cruise?

Taking this completely objectively, whether you love or hate the Dream Cruise, is there any positive economic impact to it? Most businesses seem to hate the constant gridlock that drives away their normal patronage. You're essentially just creating an artificial traffic jam.

Spot on. Why would a community want to attract a bunch of middle age/old men trying to overcompensate for something while supplying a negative economic impact.

There are communities along Woodward that don't want to be a part of it. I previously had to drive through it on a Friday because I was coming back from a client site. People were bitching at me that the road is for classic cars, not my beater. This was on a Friday during normal commuting hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Being closer to the westend, we always did Telegraph. It used to be jam-packed on the weekends with fast cars. "If you can beat me, you can eat me".
    I remember that legend! I say legend because nobody I know ever found her. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post

Opinions are like Assholes!

Everybody has one!

Was traffic enforcement in Detroit back then a reason people did not cruise far into Detroit? I remember a coworker saying that the traffic patrol in Detroit was very diligent in writing tickets back in the 50's and 60's.

Opinions are like Assholes!

Everybody has one!
    And they all stink!

But seriously, I hate the Dream Cruise too. I don't care about cars, and I hate the gridlock.

As the Cruise was designed to be a tribute to the days of yore, one should look to yore for answers as to the reason why The Circuit ran from Ted's to the Totem Pole.

it is my understanding that the Detroit Police in the 1950's and 60's did not tolerate kids making fools of themselves. See a kid lighting up his 409 and the Big Four swoop in for a little smack n whack.

Hence, kids went to Oakland County to avoid Badassery by the Big Four; yet, I did not live here then, so maybe I am reporting incorrectly.

I remember that legend! I say legend because nobody I know ever found her. LOL
    FINALLY someone knew what it meant! All day long people are looking @ that post wondering "What's wrong with that one?" She really could drive, and you were hard pressed trying to catch that black '63 split-window coupe. I found her, well sorta. Years later a friend's wife revealed she was the brunette that rode shotgun with the blonde.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-15-14 at 07:31 PM.

Well Monday water won [[it usually does when not controlled), putting more than a few cars in general out their 'misery' of propulsion this week...... well, umm, at least until they resurface in Florida and New Orleans, LA for resale. Hah!!

Re. the cruise I like it ok, but not enough to go. Plus mostly I drive a Japanese, older [[but great running) beater so I best stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    And they all stink!

But seriously, I hate the Dream Cruise too. I don't care about cars, and I hate the gridlock.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-16-14 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Yep, walk and look is part of it, fo' sho!

I don't know, but I'd assume the Cruise isn't in Detroit because the creators weren't residents.

So rather than whine, go get dome cars and cruise. Most good things are created, not handed out.

Envy and jealousy are sins for a reason. Our broad society focuses on fairness. Better to focus on self-reliance. There's a lesson here for Detroiters.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I don't know, but I'd assume the Cruise isn't in Detroit because the creators weren't residents.

So rather than whine, go get dome cars and cruise. Most good things are created, not handed out.

Envy and jealousy are sins for a reason. Our broad society focuses on fairness. Better to focus on self-reliance. There's a lesson here for Detroiters.
    An excellent post Wesley. People need to realize that the entire world does not revolve around Detroit. Not everything that goes on in this region needs to be Detroit-centric. Besides, historically there was never any significant cruising scene in Detroit. It was historically always north of Eight Mile Road.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post

I'm normally one to decry sloth around here but turning a question about the Dream Cruise into a sermon about handouts and self-reliance? What the hell? This board is a can of mixed nuts.

Maybe most Detroiters don't want the Dream Cruise and aren't actually asking for it. This one isn't.

Everyone I know in that corridor is planning some way around it/to escape it.

I'm not anti-car but a traditional car show in a bucolic setting seems much more appealing to me than sitting in traffic, wasting gas. People here are generally stupid, though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast