Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

anonJD Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I doubt there's much of any "contrast in lifestyle". Apples-to-apples, lifestyle would be pretty similar.

If you're in the DC ghetto, it's like the Detroit ghetto. If you're in Bloomfield Hills, it's like Potomac or McLean.
    Most powerful people in Metro Detroit vs. most powerful people in the United States. DIA vs. Kennedy Center. Steak houses vs. world-class restaurants. Michigan and MSU grads vs. Ivy, elite grad, law and medical school grads. People that live on the coasts for more than a few years become complete snobs about any and everything Midwest. Just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by anonJD View Post
    Most powerful people in Metro Detroit vs. most powerful people in the United States. DIA vs. Kennedy Center. Steak houses vs. world-class restaurants. Michigan and MSU grads vs. Ivy, elite grad, law and medical school grads. People that live on the coasts for more than a few years become complete snobs about any and everything Midwest. Just the way it is.
    Complete snobs? Who elected you spokesperson for people who live on "the coasts?"

Eh, not buying it. DC is not a huge draw for the most powerful people, and has never been a big Ivy League draw. Ivy Leaguers are in NYC. Wealth and power is mostly in NYC.

DC, as a whole, is small potatoes. It's important because the U.S. is important, but the city and metro are prosperous because it happens to be the capital of the world's most powerful country.

The lifestyles are not that different from those of Detroit [[in fact even the lifestyles of anyone anywhere in the U.S., on average, are not that different from Detroit, even in the NYC area).

anonJD Guest

Eh, not buying it. DC is not a huge draw for the most powerful people, and has never been a big Ivy League draw. Ivy Leaguers are in NYC. Wealth and power is mostly in NYC.

DC, as a whole, is small potatoes. It's important because the U.S. is important, but the city and metro are prosperous because it happens to be the capital of the world's most powerful country.

The lifestyles are not that different from those of Detroit [[in fact even the lifestyles of anyone anywhere in the U.S., on average, are not that different from Detroit, even in the NYC area).
    Most of the time you know what you're talking about on here. In this example you're talking out of your -ss. Just stop. The way you're talking, I doubt you've been to DC once in the last 10 years, outside of maybe a field trip for secondary school.

Most of the time you know what you're talking about on here. In this example you're talking out of your -ss. Just stop. The way you're talking, I doubt you've been to DC once in the last 10 years, outside of maybe a field trip for secondary school.
    After visiting DC and surrounding burbs this week you took the words right out of my mouth. Dead on.

MThe way you're talking, I doubt you've been to DC once in the last 10 years, outside of maybe a field trip for secondary school.
    I lived in DC after college for a number of years, so no.

And I love your illogical response, as if someone has to live in an area to comment on an area. I guess no one is allowed to have an opinion of anyplace on earth unless they have actually lived in the place.

And I love your illogical response, as if someone has to live in an area to comment on an area. I guess no one is allowed to have an opinion of anyplace on earth unless they have actually lived in the place.
    By that logic, a lot less people would have things to say about Detroit.

I don't think that is what they said. I think they were suggesting that your comment was sufficiently at odds with reality that you couldn't have been there lately. That doesn't imply that the only way to know something about a place is to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I don't think that is what they said. I think they were suggesting that your comment was sufficiently at odds with reality that you couldn't have been there lately. That doesn't imply that the only way to know something about a place is to visit.
    Well I would argue that living in a place or visiting a place has nothing to do with the claims, which was that DC is a mecca for Ivy League grads.

If anything, living in a place probably makes one more biased and less willing to consider actual data on that area.