Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Momentum is kind of relative. For years...decades really...I waited for the city of Detroit to hit rock bottom and begin to rebound. And for years I was fooled by some fleeting sign of progress. I thought Dennis Archer would begin the turnaround. Then I was encouraged by a young and energenic Kwame. After nearly two terms of that felon, I thought Dave Bing would lead the city and at least return respect and honor to the mayoral seat. Small pockets of success would come, but hardly anything that I would consider a sustained push.

Finally [[and I don't know whether to attribute any of this to Duggan), it seems like Detroit can really say they hit bottom [[during the end of the Kilpatrick Administration), stabilized itself to an extent [[during the Bing era) and is beginning an ascent.

Many many problems remain for certain. Below average city services, those awful car insurance rates, crime, single-parent families, blight, and the school system are all justifyable reason to avoid living in Detroit. Yet some people are choosing to move back. My wife and I walk through Brush Park on the way to baseball games and look longingly at the Condo's and think...could we REALLY end up back here in 10 years? We take in a lot of baseball and hockey games. When the new hockey arena is completed...we could walk to BOTH baseball and hockey games if we wanted to.

Momentum. It's an interesting term. Something is changing for the better in Detroit and at least my perception is that it's more sustainable than what we've seen in the past few decades. The one thing that unites this forum is love for the city and a longing for a return to some kind of properity. It's happening. Not as fast as we all want...but it's happening.

Quote Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect View Post
    Momentum is kind of relative. For years...decades really...I waited for the city of Detroit to hit rock bottom and begin to rebound. And for years I was fooled by some fleeting sign of progress. I thought Dennis Archer would begin the turnaround. Then I was encouraged by a young and energenic Kwame. After nearly two terms of that felon, I thought Dave Bing would lead the city and at least return respect and honor to the mayoral seat. Small pockets of success would come, but hardly anything that I would consider a sustained push.

Finally [[and I don't know whether to attribute any of this to Duggan), it seems like Detroit can really say they hit bottom [[during the end of the Kilpatrick Administration), stabilized itself to an extent [[during the Bing era) and is beginning an ascent.

Many many problems remain for certain. Below average city services, those awful car insurance rates, crime, single-parent families, blight, and the school system are all justifyable reason to avoid living in Detroit. Yet some people are choosing to move back. My wife and I walk through Brush Park on the way to baseball games and look longingly at the Condo's and think...could we REALLY end up back here in 10 years? We take in a lot of baseball and hockey games. When the new hockey arena is completed...we could walk to BOTH baseball and hockey games if we wanted to.

Momentum. It's an interesting term. Something is changing for the better in Detroit and at least my perception is that it's more sustainable than what we've seen in the past few decades. The one thing that unites this forum is love for the city and a longing for a return to some kind of properity. It's happening. Not as fast as we all want...but it's happening.
    Excellent post.

One thing about Brush Park: It needs thousands of residents to become what it needs to be as a place, or community, for quality of life.

I forgot the number of housing units for the other announced or unannounced projects, but when they hit say one thousand then BP will be on its ways back.

Nice thing about these apartment complexes is that they'll produce good population density which is important in an urban area.

I've long thought that BP, more than downtown, is the place to live. Not surrounded by really tall buildings [[which I don't like for residential living) yet will be a quick M-1 ride away from downtown say for work...
    Last edited by emu steve; May-06-15 at 11:10 PM.