Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Of course there is. That issue was covered here when it happened. Again, buildings so far gone that they didn't even have elevators, anymore, have been renovated. I'm not sure what you're point is. Do you remember what the Book Cadillac look liked? That renovation kind of put to rest the illegitimate refrain "It's too far gone to restore." Short of structural issues, it will be likely nothing to restore the David Stott. The Book Tower has been unoccupied for far longer, and no one is calling it unsalvageable.

Come on, people. Are our memories that short?

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    Of course there is. That issue was covered here when it happened. Again, buildings so far gone that they didn't even have elevators, anymore, have been renovated. I'm not sure what you're point is. Do you remember what the Book Cadillac look liked? That renovation kind of put to rest the illegitimate refrain "It's too far gone to restore." Short of structural issues, it will be likely nothing to restore the David Stott. The Book Tower has been unoccupied for far longer, and no one is calling it unsalvageable.

Come on, people. Are our memories that short?
    Agree. This will make a renovation more expensive, but not impossible. Frankly, I think tearing it down is more logistically difficult/expensive than renovating it. It's 38 stories tall and surrounded on all sides by narrow streets and other buildings.

I just can't believe the neglect by DDI here. At least in the past slumlords could [[correctly) say "there's no market to support the cost of renovation." But here you have a building that has always been at least partially occupied and is surrounded by buildings that were in worse shape and are being successfully rehabbed into residential. There is a clear market. Had they started renovations when they bought the building, they could be sitting in China collecting a monthly profit from a building full of apartments! Ridiculous and infuriating.
    Last edited by Khorasaurus; February-25-15 at 10:35 AM.