Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by 3WC View Post
    As Gannon pointed out, the original plan was to build two, twin towers. The family that build it changed its mind.

The hotel has been in and out of foreclosure several times over the years and the loan on the hotel played a prominent role in the "my cat for your dog" Keating S $ L debacle.

Although the closest hotel to the convention center, it missed out on most large conventions because it did not have the rooms and facilities to serve the majority of attendees. Therefore, it only got the spillover business when the Ren Cen was full.

When the second tower is built it will be the go-to hotel downtown because of its proximity to the convention center..

Looks like a second tower still may be in the works. I found it interesting to read that they are still required to provide additional parking. The new Aloft hotel in the David Whitney does not have adjacent parking, and guests who wish just pay the going valet rate.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...center-heat-up

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    ... I found it interesting to read that they are still required to provide additional parking. The new Aloft hotel in the David Whitney does not have adjacent parking, and guests who wish just pay the going valet rate.
    I thought Detroit had modernized its building codes. Requiring parking spaces for a hotel is so 2000ish.

Long Live Uber -- down with regulated Taxis, tool of our oppressors.

Who do they think is harmed if a hotel wants no parking?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I thought Detroit had modernized its building codes. Requiring parking spaces for a hotel is so 2000ish.

Long Live Uber -- down with regulated Taxis, tool of our oppressors.

Who do they think is harmed if a hotel wants no parking?
    Whether or not they have their own parking, they need to have better parking. There was never sufficient parking in the existing hotel and guests, whether using valet or self-parking, used the garage at the corner of Congress & Washington. It took forever to get your car out.