Quote Originally Posted by timinasia View Post
I had just turned 21 when the '67 riots hit. All Detroit liquor stores were closed, so I had to drive to Ann Arbor to buy beer. I agree that you have to study & learn from history or you wind up like our current President & his administration. I lived in a lovely neighborhood at Evergreen & 6 Mile completely unaffected by the riots. I received a good education in Michigan, at Redford high school [['64), Albion College, Economics, B.A [['68), & University of Detroit, M.B.A. [['72) in a time before Betsy DeVos emasculated the education system. I left in '71 because of the "doughnut hole" effect: beautiful suburbs surrounding an inner city nobody cared about.
I left Detroit for Emory University Law School in Atlanta, a city beloved by residents. This was before Detroit's devastating loss of population & business.
I lived in LA when the '92 riots hit. I may be one of the few to experience 2 major riots first-hand. The Detroit riots were much worse.
I've since become an expat for many years, teaching for the University of Maryland in Tokyo for 15 years before retiring to Thailand several years ago. I left the States because I felt it was too conservative, too religious, too violent, too anti-science, too anti-intellectual & too expensive. Obama almost tempted me to return, but now we elected Trump. How is this possible?
In retrospect, after traveling the world, I still have pleasant memories of Detroit. I lived in a time before reality diminished its dreams & hollowed out its future.
Detroit was worse than LA 1992 riot? How so