Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

The essential problem with the idea that you can reduce whatever problems are associated with strip clubs by restricting the clubs is that we know perfectly God damned well that it doesn't work.

I have an idea: let's restrict the right of people to purchase crack cocaine and crystal meth! Then all the problems associated with those drugs will go away. Also, if we set the legal drinking age really high, like 21, teenagers won't drink! I got those ideas while I was riding my unicorn through the land of Oz.

Strip clubs are among the many things we have in our society that we might wish would go away, but they won't. If I was in Detroit city government they would not even be on the top 100 list of things I'm worried about.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    The essential problem with the idea that you can reduce whatever problems are associated with strip clubs by restricting the clubs is that we know perfectly God damned well that it doesn't work.

I have an idea: let's restrict the right of people to purchase crack cocaine and crystal meth! Then all the problems associated with those drugs will go away. Also, if we set the legal drinking age really high, like 21, teenagers won't drink! I got those ideas while I was riding my unicorn through the land of Oz.

Strip clubs are among the many things we have in our society that we might wish would go away, but they won't. If I was in Detroit city government they would not even be on the top 100 list of things I'm worried about.
    I'd vote for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    I'd vote for you.
    Which is why I keep wanting to live in Detroit, but never can. Their citizens keep voting for people because their platform is that law enforcement is a burden that needs to be lessened. Then they become suprised that they have leaders that think laws are for suckers.

Quote Originally Posted by mjs View Post
    Which is why I keep wanting to live in Detroit, but never can. Their citizens keep voting for people because their platform is that law enforcement is a burden that needs to be lessened. Then they become suprised that they have leaders that think laws are for suckers.
    We need folks like you to come and live in Detroit and fight the good fight and make this a better city. We can't have the best and brightest desert the city. Thats whats been happening for the last 50 years. Yes, detroiters make voting mistakes from time to time but mostly for council. For the most part detroiters get it right for mayor. We are going to get a bunch of new council people to work with Mayor Bing, we are going to revise that charter, the school system will get better.

And as soon as the strip clubs get the price of a lap dance down so that it reflects economic reality, we will have one more economic driver in the city.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mjs View Post
    To clarify:
    1. I didn't just say that because of the post I quoted. Professorscott has been around here for a while, and I've found his posts about what our elected officials should be doing to be well-reasoned and articulate. I think we need more elected officials who have a clear, realistic idea about what should be done, not just idiot panderers who get elected on smiles and name recognition.

2. I think you misinterpreted his post. I didn't get "law enforcement is a burden..." out of it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    To clarify:
    1. I didn't just say that because of the post I quoted. Professorscott has been around here for a while, and I've found his posts about what our elected officials should be doing to be well-reasoned and articulate.
    Then I apologize. I thought it was based on just that post.

Strip clubs like prisons and a few other undesirable[[ to some) but legal industries bring out the NIMBY's en masse. Other cities and countries have red light districts. What would be wrong with having a certain area zoned [[ I don't mean all of 8 mile) for this industry and if residents are living near the zone at least they know what they are getting into. Don't legislate them out of business, all that will do is drive the industry underground creating more problems in the long term.

..."filthy pirate hookers LEFT and RIGHT..."

What the hell is a pirate hooker?

Quote Originally Posted by Lonyo exit View Post
    ..."filthy pirate hookers LEFT and RIGHT..."

What the hell is a pirate hooker?
    ask Ron Burgundy.

To put it another way--toothless, emaciated, dirty addicted whores looking to pillage your ass for $5 to take to the dope house.