Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Fourth generation Grosse Pointer here.

Scottahew didn't say it, but if he said a third of Americans are racist, it's an underestimation. Being "racist" is not a binary you are or you aren't operation-- there's a vast grey area. Who among us can claim they're at the 100% or 0% mark? We all have our prejudices, some of them based on ethnicity and race. And we all have hope, even if we don't admit it or even realize it.

When I grew up in Grosse Pointe at least 30% would openly admit to being racist. When kids jumped on top of each other [[to recover a fumble playing football, for example) it was a "nigger pile." When we were cheated or scammed we were "jewed." Asians were the butt of dumb jokes. After all, Grosse Pointe realtors used a race/ethnicity-based point system to determine who could buy a house, and where. Those "others" barely even existed to us.

So many generations ago when my Detroit family fled to the forest and swamps of Grosse Pointe they were point systemed into a specific neighborhood. Well and good for them-- there was a streetcar nearby, and it was safe.

Today I doubt 30% of Grosse Pointers would openly admit they're racist. Many of the openly racist have since kicked off, moved some miles North, or retired South. But if we apply the "one-drop rule" we all are.

As far as race relations improving until BLM and CRT, our resident Ayn Rand devotee sure has a imagination, and it's selective.

The turning point was DJT. As in Donald J. Trump. Everything quickly got worse, across the spectrum, with him.

CRT? What the hell is that?

I agree I lean "left", and I've taught various semesters at universities. Interracial family. According to him I should be one of its proponents, but I'd never even heard of it.

It's obviously yet another bogeyman contrived to disparage his critics. Someone should analyze what media sources use the term, and who's heard of it. I'll all but guarantee the vast majority lean right, often so far they stray into disinformation territory.

The same ones who say it was antifa who invaded the Capitol. And claim it was green energy, not deregulation, cronyism, and corruption that crippled Texas utility infrastructure. And voter fraud, so much voter fraud.

What a laugh, were the consequences not so sad.
    Last edited by bust; February-20-21 at 12:58 PM.

Sorry for the delay in responding I was away from all things news and politics for a while [[indeed a wonderful feeling).

What is CRT?

CRT is the acronym for Critical Race Theory: coming to a college and business near you [[smile) if not already arrived! As I stated earlier I've known about it for many years. CRT at a glance seems to be of good noble intentions to resolve racial injustice, having a legal basis:

[Critical race theory [[CRT) is a framework in jurisprudence that examines society and culture as they relate to categorizations of race, law, and power in the United States of America. It began as a movement in American law schools in the mid- to late 1980s as a reworking of critical legal theory on race issues...] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_race_theory

Not quite the dismissable bogeyman contrivance of the far right, CRT's recent surge [[mostly from academe) has been adopted as a crucial component/ plank of Social Justice/ Diversity comprehension, as infused into education/ curricula [[including K12) and some training in various corporations/ businesses.

So what IS the problem...? I'm for diversity and social justice, I am.

At issue is that depending on your interpretation [[and for some as a direct read), CRT purports that race alone [[not fluid or adaptable) determines ones fixed and enhernently racial attitude[[s). Specifically, and to the point: some of CRT tenants state that if you're white you ARE inherently racist. Period.

You're only redemption is your acknowledgement [[and public confession therein) of how many levels [[conscious or not) your are racist; practicing your 'privilege' and behaving, et al. Some 'redemption' can be found in your commitment to work thru that [[ala the workshops and educational principles), perpetually.

And it's so oft said that 'religion' is demanding and dogmatic?!!

I've no dog in the fight. I am black, so it could be argued I could/ should take a bit of a schadenfreude [[well as racists they ALL deserve this) attitude. But as I'm not a racist [[retributive or otherwise). I don't find this ideology truly problem-solving, or addressing the issues re. race and social culture needing work.

But it's making some people A WHOLE LOT OF MONEY [[more on that fiscal matter later, if applicable).

See below a few searches for your own take on Critical Race Theory [[as practiced now). I am certain not a few white people [[and others) will not be 'feeling' a world view that posits that by default a particular race is perpetually racist. Without even a trap-door of escape, I suppose.

And if you find CRT particularly front-loaded, dig this: It jacks you up on the back-end too. If you claim that you're NOT a racist you are just being more 'white', exhibiting your 'whiteness', and power, and so of course uncomfortable or fragile to the challenge!:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=critical+race+theory&sp=EgIIB Q%253D%253D

https://www.google.com/search?q=crit...hrome&ie=UTF-8

CRT is not quite the same as diversity and social justice training. I've been part of a few online and face-to-face.

It has become part of it in some cases. Critical Race Theory came up during the presidential race as Trump was challenged on it by one of the moderators. Trump's rejection mounted for some a reflexive grand defense of CRT [[not knowing the full details of the ideology).

After all if Trump don't-like-it, that's enough for me. Of course it needs no scrutiny. Full steam-ahead!

https://time.com/5891138/critical-ra...ory-explained/

Who came up with the idea [black people]?

From article:

The critical race theory movement officially came into being at a 1989 workshop led by Crenshaw, Neil Gotanda and Stephanie Phillips at the St. Benedict Center in Madison, Wis.—but the ideas behind the movement had been brewing for years by that point.

In the 1970s, a group of legal scholars and activists developed the theory, building on the work of movements like critical legal theory and radical feminism.

More from the Times article:

... Kimberlé Crenshaw, one of the founding scholars of CRT and the executive director and co-founder of the African American Policy Forum, says that critical race theory “is a practice—a way of seeing how the fiction of race has been transformed into concrete racial inequities.”

“It’s an approach to grappling with a history of white supremacy that rejects the belief that what’s in the past is in the past, and that the laws and systems that grow from that past are detached from it,” Crenshaw told TIME in an email.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    CRT? What the hell is that?

I agree I lean "left", and I've taught various semesters at universities. Interracial family. According to him I should be one of its proponents, but I'd never even heard of it.

It's obviously yet another bogeyman contrived to disparage his critics. Someone should analyze what media sources use the term, and who's heard of it. I'll all but guarantee the vast majority lean right, often so far they stray into disinformation territory...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I'm only mildly surprise why so many [[young and impressionable) quickly champion CRT. Apparently they've not actually studied its raw meaning and agenda [[sans the appropriate, political buffering)
    I was aware of CRT 20 years ago, before it became 'um, 'fashionable'....
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Things I believe:

..... 3) Critical Race Theory as being brought from academia to schools and workplaces is divisive and counter-productive.
    And who will be blamed for all of this after the fist-o'-cuffs?
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-22-21 at 07:53 PM.

I mean this as a serious question and not as some sort of race baiting. Nor do I mean it to start some sort of crazy shit storm on here.
    I understand to an extent the precept that whites are by nature racist due to "privilege" etc, but what is the Critical Theory for other races? Is there a specific reaction to White racism that figures into this somehow or is the theory only based on the White race and their reaction to other races?
    Specifically, and to the point: some of CRT tenants state that if you're white you ARE inherently racist. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I mean this as a serious question and not as some sort of race baiting. Nor do I mean it to start some sort of crazy shit storm on here.
    I understand to an extent the precept that whites are by nature racist due to "privilege" etc, but what is the Critical Theory for other races? Is there a specific reaction to White racism that figures into this somehow or is the theory only based on the White race and their reaction to other races?
    It's made for the American context, but the same thing would apply to other cultures with different races and ethnic groups swapped in. It doesn't say that there's anything biologically inherent about white people, it basically says that the fact that it was white people is a coincidence of history and that racial divisions are arbitrary.

It also doesn't say that individual white people are racist, the point is actually the opposite. The point is that there are legacy effects of past racism baked into the system, regardless of how racist or non-racist any individual is.

White privilege is just that any racially-based harm against blacks is by default a benefit to whites.