Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    What's become brutally obvious is that preservationist-types have NO representation in the City of Detroit. There's no one on council, no one in the mayor's office and no one in any other position of power or influence that can make a difference. Thus you get this kind of decision, ad nauseum.

So I'm left to wonder, is it a case of the preservationists and their allies being such a small group in Detroit that they're totally marginalized, or are they sufficient in number to merit some consideration and influence but they're incompetent at pulling the levers of power?

Good observation. It appears to be a combination of everything that you've pointed out. It's too bad that the conservationists and the businesses aren't working together, or at least aren't working together more.

I know I may seem hard on them, but I do appreciate the vision and tenacity that the OTSC brings to the table. Now, and please bear with me on this one, a lot could be accomplished if the OTSC's vision and tenacity were coupled with the resources and business sense of Matty Maroun and the DIBC.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    Good observation. It appears to be a combination of everything that you've pointed out. It's too bad that the conservationists and the businesses aren't working together, or at least aren't working together more.
    In this case, the preservationists ARE the business [[OTSC is incorporated as a non-profit). It's the DEGC that--ONCE AGAIN--refuses to play ball with anyone else, or the reality of the current fiscal environment.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    I know I may seem hard on them, but I do appreciate the vision and tenacity that the OTSC brings to the table. Now, and please bear with me on this one, a lot could be accomplished if the OTSC's vision and tenacity were coupled with the resources and business sense of Matty Maroun and the DIBC.
    Really? Is that what you want? If Matty Maroun's business sense were used, Tiger Stadium would be left vacant [[and unmaintained) for another 10 years until the City threatens demolition anyway.

Personally, I don't see the attraction of vacant lots. For some reason, the DEGC thinks that development in the middle of a large city works the same as it does in the cornfields of Lapeer County. Hell--why not build more freeways through Detroit to encourage more development on these empty plots of land? It makes about as much sense as spending scarce funds on this demolition. Instead of waiting for OTSC to get the money, or better still--HELPING OTSC obtain financing--the City self-imposes a completely arbitrary deadline to "do something", and for what? The return on investment of a vacant lot is guaranteed to be negative, whereas under OTSC's plan, you have a developed piece of property that contributes to the neighborhood as well as to the tax rolls.

I hope Ty Cobb comes back from the dead and cleats these assholes at DEGC square in the chest.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    In this case, the preservationists ARE the business [[OTSC is incorporated as a non-profit). It's the DEGC that--ONCE AGAIN--refuses to play ball with anyone else, or the reality of the current fiscal environment.

Really? Is that what you want? If Matty Maroun's business sense were used, Tiger Stadium would be left vacant [[and unmaintained) for another 10 years until the City threatens demolition anyway.

Personally, I don't see the attraction of vacant lots. For some reason, the DEGC thinks that development in the middle of a large city works the same as it does in the cornfields of Lapeer County. Hell--why not build more freeways through Detroit to encourage more development on these empty plots of land? It makes about as much sense as spending scarce funds on this demolition. Instead of waiting for OTSC to get the money, or better still--HELPING OTSC obtain financing--the City self-imposes a completely arbitrary deadline to "do something", and for what? The return on investment of a vacant lot is guaranteed to be negative, whereas under OTSC's plan, you have a developed piece of property that contributes to the neighborhood as well as to the tax rolls.

I hope Ty Cobb comes back from the dead and cleats these assholes at DEGC square in the chest.

The Matty Maroun part was just an example. I used him because he's someone that most of the posters are familiar with. That's why I said bear with me, I'm aware about how people feel about him. Remember, he, Mike Illitch and some of the other entities such as Farbman that own a lot of properties in Detroit are business minded people that are willing to make decisions that benefit their businesses. If working with a group like the OTSC is going to get people off of his back about a second span, Matty Maroun would probably be willing to make a deal. In the same sense, Illitch would probably be willing to do the same thing if it could benefit him in securing a new Hockey Arena. That's all I'm saying. You're right, the OTSC is a business, a non-profit business. I'm not against non-profits, I was simply referring to profit minded businesses when I said business.