Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Urban farms are better than nothing. What we have right now is nothing. So, I say take the ball and run with it.

We have more than nothing. We have a metro region that has squandered its wealth, resources, sense of cooperation through extreme decentralization. In Metro Detroit, it's a bragging point to steal an auto factory from another city through tax breaks.

Here's a suggestion: why don't we put some of those resources back into Detroit, which is our urban core and brand name, before there is nothing left to pick from the carcass of our previous glory? Oh yeah, that's right, we won't because of the ridiculous prejudices that still exist on both side of 8 mile.

Detroit should've been more like Chicago and Philadelphia - cities that have seen better days, but are still in much better shape. But we messed up bad.

Edit: I know that we have put some resources back into Detroit, but the fact remains that the majority of Metro Detroiters still look at Detroit as problem they wish would just sink into the Detroit River. It's continually kept us from reaching critical mass, and it's why the previous renaissance efforts ultimately failed [[such as the renaissance plans in the 1970s that culminated with the Renaissance Center).
    Last edited by nain rouge; April-14-12 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post

Here's a suggestion: why don't we put some of those resources back into Detroit, which is our urban core and brand name, before there is nothing left to pick from the carcass of our previous glory?

Well, isn't that what MSU is trying to do here? I would love for Automation Alley and all the professional buildings in Troy and half of Southfield to move back into the city...but that's not going to happen, nor will it make the Trojans or Southfieldians really happy.

So finally, an investor with practically limitless access to capital finds a unique need and a potential future industry....is willing to commit funds...

I guess I was expecting champagne and fireworks. What I'm hearing is more of, "Well, I guess if that's what we can get, we'll take it."