Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast

See French's photos above. I drove by yesterday around 5:30 pm and saw a security car parked outside, so I guess they're finally making certain the building is secure.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Well then the part we were originally talking about wasn't updated because you cannot redevelop a 1 story building that has been gone for 3 years.

http://jcbeal.com/project-broderick.asp
    That part they didn't reword, but redevelopment is a very broad term. This still qualifies as redevelopment because they are redeveloping the site, and if the building actually collapsed and was covered by their insurance, the plan may be to just rebuild as it was, which means it will still be an adjacent one-story building. The term redevelopment is broadly applied to the entire project.

gdogslim Guest

I also checked it out, they got security detail all set and property is secured.
    http://mediatakeout.s3.amazonaws.com...oit_police.jpg

Maybe call it urban infill and blight redevelopment

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    That part they didn't reword, but redevelopment is a very broad term. This still qualifies as redevelopment because they are redeveloping the site, and if the building actually collapsed and was covered by their insurance, the plan may be to just rebuild as it was, which means it will still be an adjacent one-story building. The term redevelopment is broadly applied to the entire project.
    Yeah I realize we are spliting hairs with the wording. Hopefully they don't leaveit as a vacant lot.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Yeah I realize we are spliting hairs with the wording. Hopefully they don't leaveit as a vacant lot.
    I am just curious if insurance is paying to reconstruct the original structure, or if plans have changed.

Default Workers ON-SITE

Yes, there are workers on sight. I saw about 7 workers just on the outside of the building. Plenty of activity going on!

Quote Originally Posted by French777 View Post
    Attachment 8532

This is just a picture of the roof I got.
    BTW, the Park Apts. or Industrial Apts. building on Grand River and Washington looks a lot like the Broderick Tower, especially the top floors. Very similar to the picture that you took, French777. Check it out the next time you go by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_c View Post
    I believe we will be sure work is starting when we see the big yellow trash tube, dumptrucks standing in line and the buckhoist going up.
    Your big yellow trash chute its up. Alley side.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    Your big yellow trash chute its up. Alley side.
    The side where the collapsed building was on? I'll have to get a photo next time I am in town.

If I don't get pictures tomorrow. I can take some next week!

If no one can get them up sometime soon I can maybe try and get a few driving back home. They would be with a crappy phone camera though :-\

Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    The side where the collapsed building was on? I'll have to get a photo next time I am in town.
    You are correct, sir.

I'll be in town tomorrow......I'll take a picture or two.

Stromberg2

All, as you have heard, construction has officially begun. The first
    steps include environmental remediation and interior demolition. You will
    see the trash chute installed and the beginnings of the buck hoist [[exterior
    temporary elevator). The former building
    to the south will be completely removed and a new façade built to screen the
    new mechanical equipment for the project and preserve space for future
    retail. The project is intended to be
    complete September 1, 2012.

Thanks KraemerDesignGroup!!

As in the past you have shown us architectural images of the work to be done.... any idea what the [[now destroyed) building next door will look like when reconstruction will turn it into mechanical and future retail??

No images as of yet. The facade will carry the basic color and pattern of the base of the Broderick.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Attachment 8264

Work is also being done on these two, down the block.
    Isn't that stil damage of the last Transformers movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    Isn't that stil damage of the last Transformers movie?
    No... the DDA is paying for streetscape improvements to these buildings... Beal is doing the work, and they are merely lighting up the facades.

...big, yellow trash chute now hangs off the south end of the building...probably 8-10 stories up...

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    ...big, yellow trash chute now hangs off the south end of the building...probably 8-10 stories up...
    It cracks me up sometimes the things that we Detroiters get excited about, and follow lol.

Quote Originally Posted by tetsua View Post
    It cracks me up sometimes the things that we Detroiters get excited about, and follow lol.
    Why is if funny to follow the renovation af a major skyscraper downtown? The trash chute is just more evidence that it is finally happening.

It i is great...especially since I see that damn thing out my window everyday.

Absolutely. Why would the renovation of an attractive long-abandoned major structure NOT generate a lot of interest? Also, the Whitney Bldg will be watched closely when the work begins there no doubt. And if the work happening at the United Artists complex was public, that would be watched. It is anyway, but the mystery behind it makes it even more appealing to many to follow the happenings there.

I greatly admire the Broderick building, and have worried for almost 30 years that it would eventually be demolished [[how, I don't know). This is excellent news, I plan to follow it closely and do drive-bys when I'm downtown or walk-bys if I'm on foot in the area.

Any updates on the Broderick work will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by kryptonite; January-18-11 at 12:16 PM.

It's great to be down here at work these days, the construction workers are everywhere [[we just ate with three of them at the Subway across the park), and it's actually "busy" around here. On the way back I peeked in through the chain link fence and a worker came out of the gate at the same, I told him "bless you boys" and he gave a chuckle. I've also seen them in the parking garage, in the Detroit Beer Co. [[eating!) and in 1515 getting a cuppa. Economic improvement bite by bite, sip by sip, as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitScooter View Post
    It's great to be down here at work these days, the construction workers are everywhere [[we just ate with three of them at the Subway across the park), and it's actually "busy" around here. On the way back I peeked in through the chain link fence and a worker came out of the gate at the same, I told him "bless you boys" and he gave a chuckle. I've also seen them in the parking garage, in the Detroit Beer Co. [[eating!) and in 1515 getting a cuppa. Economic improvement bite by bite, sip by sip, as it were.
    I'm really pumped about this. Heck, I'm just excited to see when it's all lit up at night during construction. I also work right next to the old Freep building and will provide updates as they [[hopefully) start moving along with that building soon.

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast