Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    Lead pipes leading from the main to the meter are common. I have one. Should they all be replaced statewide as a precaution ? Just asking.
    I don't think the EPA is going to admit any fault. They will most likely find a underling and blame them.
    Yes, many places have lead service lines.

However, Flint is special, because when the state's emergency financial manager forced Flint to temporarily switch to the Flint River as an interim water source, there were two issues:

- The Flint River is more corrosive than lake water
    - No corrosion control was used

This caused the pipes to start leaching lead into the water. Where in Rochester Hills I don't have to worry about that because DWSD\GLWA uses corrosion control, just as every single water providing entity should.

When the whole crisis arose I remember saying, "so what, we all have lead pipes, stop whining". Then as I found more and more facts about how water gets from a source to the tap, and found out what failed to happen in Flint, I realized that this is a huge issue and those people are being poisoned.

As to the EPA not admitting fault, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post

However, Flint is special, because when the state's emergency financial manager forced Flint to temporarily switch to the Flint River as an interim water source, there were two issues:

This caused the pipes to start leaching lead into the water. Where in Rochester Hills I don't have to worry about that because DWSD\GLWA uses corrosion control, just as every single water providing entity should.

When the whole crisis arose I remember saying, "so what, we all have lead pipes, stop whining". Then as I found more and more facts about how water gets from a source to the tap, and found out what failed to happen in Flint, I realized that this is a huge issue and those people are being poisoned.

If you live in Rochester Hills, you probably do not have lead issues. Most of the homes in Rochester Hills were on individual well water and the DWSD mains and home taps are relatively new.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post

I live in Lincoln Park so my water comes from the same place as yours. But I am wondering if there are ever problems with DWSD\GLWA we will face the same problems.

The recall has nothing to do with the Flint Lead water. A person circulating petitions can only give the reason on the petition as a reason for removal of the person in office. If a petition circulator gives another reason the signatures they collect can be ruled invalid.

The reason for the recall is that Snyder should be recalled because of the moving of the State School Reform Office into the Michigan Department of Technology, Management and Budget which is under his control.

Quote Originally Posted by jj84 View Post
    The recall has nothing to do with the Flint Lead water. A person circulating petitions can only give the reason on the petition as a reason for removal of the person in office. If a petition circulator gives another reason the signatures they collect can be ruled invalid.

The reason for the recall is that Snyder should be recalled because of the moving of the State School Reform Office into the Michigan Department of Technology, Management and Budget which is under his control.
    None of what you say really matters.

As long as people who want Snyder out of officer know that they can petition for his recall, they'll sign regardless of the exact reason for the recall petition.

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    I live in Lincoln Park so my water comes from the same place as yours. But I am wondering if there are ever problems with DWSD\GLWA we will face the same problems.
    Considering the wealthiest communities in Michigan also drink Detroit's water, I see no convincing reason to worry about having that problem.

417deer Guest

I think he is trying to get things fixed and I hope this gets fixed because this is very important to all of us. It could have been any one of us that got the bad water.