Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    I agree. No way does Ilitch spend that kind of money. I'm shocked that the Nationals spent that kind of money.
    They'll still be paying him way after he's in his wheelchair. Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I thought he would get his money from someone but getting a contract longer than he has any shot of still playing surprised me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    We're also guilty of that as well. We've also got Victor Martinez, Miguel Cabrera and Justin Verlander's contract hanging around our necks as well. Granted VMart's going to hopefully extend his career by being just the DH and when Miggy gets old and grey, he'll become the DH.

I've just never liked long term contracts for pitchers. They're just too damn delicate just by the sheer nature of the wear and tear on their arms. And Max Scherzer's got one of the more violent deliveries around. He's still going to be productive for maybe three or four more years, but unless he wants to suddenly become a screwball pitcher or just work out of the pen- his career as a starter just isn't going to be that long. As it was here, he'd barely last to the 8th inning.

As much as we all adore Verlander, we could see his game starting to lose a little zip last year already. Not saying he can't recoup some of it this year but that sheen of invulnerability's worn off a little bit. We can only blame so much on Kate Upton.