Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

jimmyr Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    I really don't know what to say to this idiotic statement.
    Idiotic? Ignore the statistics all you want. If you think a grocery store catering to EBT card holders signifies any type of recovery you're sadly mistaken. It signifies a company saw how many people have EBT cards within a certain radius and said we can make money here, because unlike a job [[which can be lost), those EBT cards are flush every month. This is not a "Oh we think yuppies are moving in" development.
    Last edited by jimmyr; April-29-14 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyr View Post
    Idiotic? Ignore the statistics all you want. If you think a grocery store catering to EBT card holders signifies any type of recovery you're sadly mistaken. It signifies a company saw how many people have EBT cards within a certain radius and said we can make money here, because unlike a job [[which can be lost), those EBT cards are flush every month. This is not a "Oh we think yuppies are moving in" development.
    Quite a tangent. I was addressing your statement that it seems like everyone in the city gets EBT cards. But troll away. Us dummy Detroiters will jus' use are bridge cards and buy pop, chips and cadillacs.

Since you cited statistics: Can you supply the number/percent of Detroiters that receive EBT cards? Can you also compare it to rural communities?

Quite a tangent. I was addressing your statement that it seems like everyone in the city gets EBT cards. But troll away. Us dummy Detroiters will jus' use are bridge cards and buy pop, chips and cadillacs.

Since you cited statistics: Can you supply the number/percent of Detroiters that receive EBT cards? Can you also compare it to rural communities?
    In 2011, 41 percent of Detroit households
    reported receiving food assistance. The
    rate for Wayne County, outside of Detroit,
    was 16.6 percent, while the state, minus
    Detroit, came in at 16.5 percent

http://www.datadrivendetroit.org/pub..._SDCReport.pdf

and, if you look at the graph in the materials and the other statistics, I'm guessing it hasn't gone down since 2011...so not all, but about half the households.
    Last edited by bailey; April-29-14 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    In 2011, 41 percent of Detroit households
    reported receiving food assistance. The
    rate for Wayne County, outside of Detroit,
    was 16.6 percent, while the state, minus
    Detroit, came in at 16.5 percent

http://www.datadrivendetroit.org/pub..._SDCReport.pdf

so, not all.... and if you look at the graph in the materials and the other statistics, I'm guessing it hasn't gone down since 2011
    I would say 40% is significantly less than, 'not all'. Not much above twice the state average. Certainly not in line with the typical narrative. Now let's look at the rural communities that are never vilified for being welfare queens

I would say 40% is significantly less than, 'not all'. Not much above twice the state average. Certainly not in line with the typical narrative. Now let's look at the rural communities that are never vilified for being welfare queens
    I agree. The market area will be much smaller than the entire City. It will also draw some folks from Redford Twp as most as not your sterotypical suburban wusses. Yes you will get people using EBT cards, Brightmoor is not far from this location; but that happens everywhere. My own observations show that many are used in places like Family Dollar or Dollar General stores that have a much more localized population market.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I agree. The market area will be much smaller than the entire City. It will also draw some folks from Redford Twp as most as not your sterotypical suburban wusses. Yes you will get people using EBT cards, Brightmoor is not far from this location; but that happens everywhere. My own observations show that many are used in places like Family Dollar or Dollar General stores that have a much more localized population market.
    What's a stereotypical suburban wuss? Could you elaborate please - I'm seriously interested.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    What's a stereotypical suburban wuss? Could you elaborate please - I'm seriously interested.
    Livonia I assume it is someone that will refuse to step foot in Detroit or go to Meijer in Detroit even though it is closer than the suburban one they go to.