Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Looking at that overview Where would the Packard hotel and supermarket be located ?

62 51 55 Is that where the freeway is now ?

Is the article available for sale or strictly for research ,historical value?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Looking at that overview Where would the Packard hotel and supermarket be located ?

62 51 55 Is that where the freeway is now ?

Is the article available for sale or strictly for research ,historical value?
    The former supermarket is on the land once occupied by the power plant [[I think #26 on the photo above).

The freeway right-of-way is where Harper used to be, and separates the main factory buildings from the property that used to contain the casting and forge buildings. I don't believe that any of the original Packard casting and forge buildings have survived. What's there now is all later construction from what I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by 55packardconv View Post
    The former supermarket is on the land once occupied by the power plant [[I think #26 on the photo above).

The freeway right-of-way is where Harper used to be, and separates the main factory buildings from the property that used to contain the casting and forge buildings. I don't believe that any of the original Packard casting and forge buildings have survived. What's there now is all later construction from what I can tell.
    Yes, Building 26 was the power house and you're right - it is now the dead supermarket.

Yes, Buildings 51 to 55 were the Iron foundry and Buildings 60 to 65 held Forging, Hammer Shop, Die Shop, Blacksmith Shop and Die Shop. They would have been taken down when the freeway went through.

I have attached three images. One is a birdseye view in color of the PMCC from the 1939 Junior [[6 cylinder and small 8 cylinder) Car Catalog. Second is a color postcard from the teens. Third image is a floor plan drawing comparing the use of the PMCC Plant from before WWII and TODAY - with today meaning 1944Name:  1939 PMCC Birdseye.jpg
Views: 11049
Size:  81.5 KB4Name:  Postcard[[Large).jpg
Views: 5647
Size:  44.5 KB.Name:  PreWar-War Floor Plan.jpg
Views: 7458
Size:  23.2 KB
    Last edited by Packman41; January-25-11 at 10:32 AM. Reason: typo