Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...ists/98545342/

Yes. There are vacancies due to the bridge being out for three years. There
    is more traffic these days due to rerouted I-75 southbound traffic. River Rouge
    has an old Chicago feel to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...ists/98545342/

Yes. There are vacancies due to the bridge being out for three years. There
    is more traffic these days due to rerouted I-75 southbound traffic. River Rouge
    has an old Chicago feel to it.
    I think this is a wonderful idea. I hope it gets some traction.

For years I've thought that Wyoming from Schoolcraft to 7 Mile would be a perfect area to try and foster an Arts District. Focus first on the section north of the Lodge. With a buy in from Marygrove and perhaps starting an industrial design program at Mumford, this area could blossom and provide a much needed anchor to the surrounding neighborhoods.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4181...7i13312!8i6656

Russell Industrial Center tenants got an eviction reprieve Friday after the center's owner reached an agreement with the city of Detroit to bring the sprawling complex up to code.

Under the agreement, owner Dennis Kefallinos and his Boydell Development Co. must correct most safety violations within 14 days and complete more extensive upgrades — fire alarm systems, updates to the sprinkler system — no later than April 1. Tenants of the building will be allowed to continue working out of their spaces during the upgrades.

David Bell, the city’s director of buildings and safety engineering, issued a short statement following the hearing:

“After numerous talks and repeated attempts to bring the owner into compliance, he has finally taken numerous steps to do so. He’s entered into a consent agreement which we believe has reachable timelines and harsh penalties if he doesn’t reach those timelines.”

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...stay/98697478/

That is great news. Do not underestimate what a positive influence this center of creativity and artistic community is for the city of Detroit. It could be somewhere else, or nowhere at all. But as long as it's here, let's encourage it.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    Russell Industrial Center tenants got an eviction reprieve Friday after the center's owner reached an agreement with the city of Detroit to bring the sprawling complex up to code.

Under the agreement, owner Dennis Kefallinos and his Boydell Development Co. must correct most safety violations within 14 days and complete more extensive upgrades — fire alarm systems, updates to the sprinkler system — no later than April 1. Tenants of the building will be allowed to continue working out of their spaces during the upgrades.

David Bell, the city’s director of buildings and safety engineering, issued a short statement following the hearing:

“After numerous talks and repeated attempts to bring the owner into compliance, he has finally taken numerous steps to do so. He’s entered into a consent agreement which we believe has reachable timelines and harsh penalties if he doesn’t reach those timelines.”

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...stay/98697478/
    This is great, but this is also what should have been attempted from the beginning, before most of the tenants had already left. Hopefully it will be a model for similar enforcement situations in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    That is great news. Do not underestimate what a positive influence this center of creativity and artistic community is for the city of Detroit. It could be somewhere else, or nowhere at all. But as long as it's here, let's encourage it.
    Absolutely.

You can never have to much entrepreneurial creative spirt.

It is great for the city and region that a solution is moving forward here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3