Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: h1n1 shot

ccbatson Guest

Gulp...Rb is right on this one...

Quote Originally Posted by elganned View Post
    Me, too. I need a new flat-screen wall TV, and the looting should provide plenty of good opportunities.
    I, too, am waiting for the riots. We need to change the system. My stereo system.

ccbatson Guest

Gannon, if you are worried about contamination, you should take up the cause of food irradiation technology...a cheap method to solve all of these problems.

No flu shot for me. The only time I've gotten the flu in the last 30-35 years was the one time I got vaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by elganned View Post
    Me, too. I need a new flat-screen wall TV, and the looting should provide plenty of good opportunities.
    Damn, why didn't I think of this? I just bought a new flat screen to replace the 18 year old Sony 27".

food irradiation ain't a big bogeyman. the only problem is that it seems to cut retention of thiamine to around 20%. ya know, there's a reason there are fewer non-sanitation related GI problems in developing worlds than in the developed world -- we never expose ourselves to stuff, so when we get it accidentally, it kicks our asses

Fresh and organic is still best. and let your kids eat that dirt -- it's the best way to build their immune systems

I grew up catching the various diseases now quite uncommon because of immunizations. I didn't know of anyone who died of measles or was disabled by mumps, but every kid I knew experienced the illnesses. On the other hand, these diseases are just this side of nonexistent around here now, and a single report of measles would cause great alarm.

I presently work with professionals who strongly believe in the value of vaccines. I also deal with parents who have waivered their kids from shots, but don't understand why they need to keep them out of school for 21 days when pertussis is raging through the classrooms. Many simply assume herd immunity exempts them. Never crosses their minds that when the 'herd' thing tips the other way, it's called an illness outbreak. In my part of the state, we have been at pandemic status with H1N1 for over a month... in October, 7 of our 9 school districts were closed for several days due to well over 5,000 reports of "flu-like illness" [[that later proved to be overwhelmingly H1N1+); and the other 2 districts closed buildings with high respiratory illness tallies. We didn't receive our first shipment of H1N1 vaccine until late in the month... so would you call these locals 'sheeple?' Or justifiably frightened?

http://video.wwmt.com/m/27023752/h1n...ic-swamped.htm

I didn't get out of my office [[in that building) for several hours after my normal quitting time... BTW, I didn't get the H1N1 shot. I am not in a target group and plus I'd already dealt with my younger son's case of it which we both survived.
    Last edited by Corn.Bot; November-24-09 at 11:24 AM. Reason: I wasn't done pontificating and testifying yet.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    food irradiation ain't a big bogeyman. the only problem is that it seems to cut retention of thiamine to around 20%. ya know, there's a reason there are fewer non-sanitation related GI problems in developing worlds than in the developed world -- we never expose ourselves to stuff, so when we get it accidentally, it kicks our asses

Fresh and organic is still best. and let your kids eat that dirt -- it's the best way to build their immune systems
    So true. This is certainly not scientific, but I have a friend whose mom was germ crazy. She kept that house sanitized like an operating room. Guess who grew up to be allergic to everything and always getting sick?

let your kids eat that dirt -- it's the best way to build their immune systems
    Still not a good idea, unless you want your kid to get something like pinworms.

This is certainly not scientific, but I have a friend whose mom was germ crazy. She kept that house sanitized like an operating room. Guess who grew up to be allergic to everything and always getting sick?
    My Mom was clean too, and none of us got allergies or lots of illnesses. My unscientific anecdote cancels out yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Still not a good idea, unless you want your kid to get something like pinworms.

My Mom was clean too, and none of us got allergies or lots of illnesses. My unscientific anecdote cancels out yours.
    Possibly, but was the antibacterial everything craze in full swing at that time? Is "clean" akin to being "germ crazy" as I stated? Clearly my adjective outweighs yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Possibly, but was the antibacterial everything craze in full swing at that time? Is "clean" akin to being "germ crazy" as I stated? Clearly my adjective outweighs yours.
    It was before the antibacterial craze but my Dad did say our house was cleaner than the dental clinic where he worked, so that's pretty damn clean.
    [[Is that a heavy enough adjective for you?)

ccbatson Guest

Sounds more like germaphobic than antibacterial to me. Remember, most bacteria and other microscopic organisms present in our environment and our bodies are beneficial.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2