Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
This guy is nuts:

Texan wants to save Packard Plant, make cars there again:

http://freep.com/article/20091112/BL...rd-purr-again?
Don't be too sure about that, B.O.D. Born and raised on the east side, I've lived in Houston working in Oil & Gas long enough to know a little about the psychology of energy as it pertains to the auto industry.

To put it in one paragraph, and I hope I'm saying it right, people down here are really fed up with our dependence on overseas oil. The drive to free us from that dependence is really strong, down here, Texans being the independent sort anyway. You can imagine how this just ticks them off. O&G's are now becoming "energy companies" that will just trade crude oil for something else. Nobody feels threatened. Some feel electricity is the way to go. Others [[mostly academics, so far) feel that a tiny nuclear cell will be the answer.

There is also a faction that thinks that the natural progression is natural gas. It is unbelievably easy to convert liquid gasoline stations to natural gas pumping stations. We have enough natural gas to last us until the next innovation and beyond.

This guy has it going on. And so does everyone else who's giving it a shot. Economic dependence is a kind of slavery. These folks are trying to free us from that, not to mention the threats coming from the Middle East. I say: go for it, Bubba! And I hope you get rich doing it.

RE: The Packard Plant:

Get the EPA out there STAT! It'll just be a curiosity until we find out what's there, esp. what's in the soil. Then, we can go from there. Nobody will want to buy it if it's toxic and uninhabitable. Texas guy included.