Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
Sweet thought. I almost didn't open the thread because it just sounded like more Detroit bashing. I think I would contact Detroit area churches. The economy is poor and even 311 calls suggest contacting churches for family needs. Our church recently had a forum on the churches role in helping the homeless. On further thought there are area churches that provide shelter on a rotating basis. Sorry I don't know the name but if you are really serious I could find out. Best thing would be to target the working poor. Bridge cards provide for food but no hygiene products. Too many young folk don't understand service to community. I applaud you!
The name of the rotating shelter organization is MCREST. Here's their website: http://www.mcrest.org/ where you can find contact information.

I'm not sure where you are located, but I know the Trinity Lutheran church on Van Dyke and Hall Rd [[M59) is one of the MCREST churches and they also provide at least one meal every day.

And I also applaud you for trying to help and make a difference in the lives of those less fortunate than yourself.