I'll make it really really simple for you SSTASH. If Michigan has a Deceptive Trade Practices Act and someone intentionally misdescribes a product, they can be liable. Just because someone is an idiot and buys it doesn't relieve them of liability.
An extreme example would be someone selling an adulterated product here is some medicine or here is some unwrapped suspicious looking candy. The person who eats it - perhaps should have known better - suspicious looking candy unwrapped is a no-no- but hey its free and the guy giving it said it was "yummy".

You are right the judge may say -"how could you be so dumb as to eat that unwrapped candy or take those powerfull medicines - just because they were free?"

Do you really think that relieves the seller of liability?

Why do you think they have Deceptive Trade Acts? They are to protect suckers- maybe the person shouldn't have been dumb enough to -buy the car-- the house- the boat -the candy - the materials ---- and I somewhat agree because people shouldn't be buying houses on Ebay without due diligence.

If you still are not with me it something like walking the worst part of Robinwood at night flashing jewelery and money falling out of your pocket- looking lost. Yes you are an idiot for doing so - you may even be asking for trouble. So when 2 guys take his stuff and slice his throat - should they not be prosecuted?

"Bwaa Judge criminals killed my wife and kids - we didn't know it was a bad neighborhood and that they would slice their throats for money?"

Not Guilty???