Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Thread: Foreign Cars.

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    While it is true that this entire region's economy was based on one industry for decades, and we did fail to diversify, that is no reason to turn our backs on the domestic auto manufacturers. The fact is that this area still depends on the domestic auto industry, even in it's shrunken state, for the bulk of employment around here either directly or indirectly.

Nor is it a good reason to abandon American makes because your 1977 Chevrolet would not start one morning 30 years ago. The big three did make some crappy cars in the past and so did the Japanese. But today's GM cars equal and in many cases surpass the quality of most imports.

The next time one considers buying an imported car they should stop and think about their relative or their neighbor who has lost his or her job because of the decline in the domestic automobile industry. You never know, you could be next.

Out of a job yet? Keep buying foreign.
    You guys just don't get it. Most people here aren't bashing the Big3 cars. The problem is that many [[if not most) or their vehicles are built OUTSIDE the U.S. That makes them FOREIGN in my book. I've also said THIS on many other threads: What if [[hypothetically) Ford, GM and Chrysler moved ALL of their production outside of the U.S.? Would you still not consider their cars foreign? BTW, if the trend keeps up, this won't be hypothetical, it will be reality. What jobs will they provide THEN? Accounting and marketing for a select few? If they want their cars considered domestic, then build them HERE!

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wash_man View Post
    You guys just don't get it. Most people here aren't bashing the Big3 cars. The problem is that many [[if not most) or their vehicles are built OUTSIDE the U.S. That makes them FOREIGN in my book. I've also said THIS on many other threads: What if [[hypothetically) Ford, GM and Chrysler moved ALL of their production outside of the U.S.? Would you still not consider their cars foreign? BTW, if the trend keeps up, this won't be hypothetical, it will be reality. What jobs will they provide THEN? Accounting and marketing for a select few? If they want their cars considered domestic, then build them HERE!

Yes, a small amount of components of Big Three vehicles are sourced from overseas. [[My current GM vehicle contains 91% American made content according to the window stcker). But the profits from the purchase of the vehicles stay here in the U.S. The profits from the purchase of foreign cars go overseas.

And as to your hypothetical about GM, Ford and Chrysler moving all their production overseas: If that were to happen I would still purchase their products as long as the companies were headquartered here.

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    Yes, a small amount of components of Big Three vehicles are sourced from overseas. [[My current GM vehicle contains 91% American made content according to the window stcker). But the profits from the purchase of the vehicles stay here in the U.S. The profits from the purchase of foreign cars go overseas.

And as to your hypothetical about GM, Ford and Chrysler moving all their production overseas: If that were to happen I would still purchase their products as long as the companies were headquartered here.
    Re-check your window sticker. I'm sure it says "North American" content, not "American", thus it includes Mexico and Canada. Very deceptive.