Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

We also had a vegetable truck that made the circuit of our neighborhood. We had bread from Silvercup, and Borden's dairy, too. Now, my milk chute is sealed on the outside, filled with insulation, and plastered over on the inside.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Parkguy View Post
    We also had a vegetable truck that made the circuit of our neighborhood. We had bread from Silvercup, and Borden's dairy, too. Now, my milk chute is sealed on the outside, filled with insulation, and plastered over on the inside.
    Ah, such a waste. Ours is sided over on the outside but holds keys, gardening gloves, hand clippers, and the occasional trowel on the inside. [[It's next to the stairs leading to the back door.)

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Ah, such a waste. Ours is sided over on the outside but holds keys, gardening gloves, hand clippers, and the occasional trowel on the inside. [[It's next to the stairs leading to the back door.)
    Hah, yeah. As a kid, I was fascinated by milk chutes on houses [[my house was one of the few in the neighborhood that was built without one, since the side of the house facing the driveway was all bedrooms), and couldn't for the life of me understand why my neighbors kept sealing them shut. I still think they're pretty cool, but I think I have a slightly better handle on the concept of people breaking into houses and stealing stuff than I did then.

lilpup Guest

When I delivered newspapers as a kid some of the people who still had chutes open to the outside wanted their papers left in them rather than sitting on the porch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Hah, yeah. As a kid, I was fascinated by milk chutes on houses [[my house was one of the few in the neighborhood that was built without one, since the side of the house facing the driveway was all bedrooms), and couldn't for the life of me understand why my neighbors kept sealing them shut. I still think they're pretty cool, but I think I have a slightly better handle on the concept of people breaking into houses and stealing stuff than I did then.
    This is why milk delivery will never work again - you can't do it without a milk chute!!!! LOL I used to crawl through ours when I forgot my house key, man my dad would get all over me for that. He would tape it up from the inside so the cold would not get in and I would ruin his awesome tape job. hehehe

Anyway - when I was in England a couple years ago [[my husband is British), people still have home milk delivery there. I loved seeing all the little white bottles of milk sitting on the front stoop - made me feel safe for some weird reason. I guess if you can trust your neighbors to not mess with your milk it can't be that bad of a place. Oh - and this was NOT in London or some big city, it was in rural little villages. Can't wait to get back there again. Mmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkguy View Post
    We also had a vegetable truck that made the circuit of our neighborhood.
    In the Balduck Park area that would be the produce truck of Tom Lappicola [[a Marseilles St. resident). Back in the 1960's he used to drive down the streets around Balduck Park and 48224 area.

I can still hear his loudspeaker in the recesses of my brain.... "strawberries, strawberries... 3 quarts for a dollar..."

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    In the Balduck Park area that would be the produce truck of Tom Lappicola [[a Marseilles St. resident). Back in the 1960's he used to drive down the streets around Balduck Park and 48224 area.
    I went to school with Tom's son? - Bob Lappicola- they lived in Grosse Pointe at that time.