Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit population grows for first time since 1957

Mayor Mike Duggan’s administration publicly fought the federal agency’s count of Detroit residents and sued the Census Bureau multiple times seeking what the city considers accurate figures. He has even described the agency as a “national clown show” for previously reporting a decrease in the city’s population estimates. But new figures show Detroit grew from 631,366 in 2022 to 633,218 residents in 2023, according to the bureau’s annual population estimate released Thursday.
    “This is the news we’ve been waiting for 10 years,” Duggan said. "This is the first time since 1957 that the Census Bureau has put Detroit in the category of a growing city in population, so it probably means more to our national brand than the NFL draft did. Many big cities in the country have been losing population year after year. To have Detroit be growing is a pretty major change."

Said Duggan, "They added 11,000 to last year, but the more important thing is they reported that we grew by 1,800 last year, even over and above that. For many years, Detroit led Michigan in population loss. In 2023, Detroit led Michigan in population gain. That’s something I never thought I’d see."

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...s/73701788007/

Assuming that this is true, it’s fantastic news for the city. To be portrayed as “growing” is certainly one more thing that can improve Detroit’s image.

I’ve thought that it would be interesting to survey new developments to see where those moving in were moving from; i.e. from outside the city or not?

WHAT!

Detroit's population grew by 2,000 people. I'm waited 67 years for this moment. I knew some of my population growth comments from long ago is is coming true.

I told people before that Detroit has well over 650,000 and Detroit is growing and people laughed at me. I personally believe it's over 700,000, but we'll see. This is great for Detroits image either way!

This really feels like a watershed moment for Detroit. I'm personally so pleased to see this news -- so many people have worked so long and so hard to make this happen. Kudos!

By 2050 U.S. Census Detroit's population will like this.

50.4% black
    25.9% white
    12.5% Hispanic
    7 % Arabs and Bangladeshis
    1% Asian
    0.5 other

By that time, rents are high. Some hoods are no longer hoods, but gentrified super condos and mega homes. Detroit will have a first black female mayor with a Hispanic deputy mayor And Dan Gilbert has already been retired from Quicken Loans and passed away.

Detroit Pistons won their third NBA Championship in 2050.

Detroit Lions has won their fourth Super Bowl title. Their first Super Bowl Title in 2034.

Red Wings won their Stanley Cup [[back in 2046).

Tigers lost the their World Series title in back in 2028.

Detroit has a NEW WNBA team called The Detroit Cougars. And a new National League Baseball team called the Detroit Rockets.

Stellantis build their 125 story building in Downtown Detroit with joint partnership from Quicken Loans.
    Last edited by Danny; May-18-24 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    By 2050 U.S. Census Detroit's population will like this.

50.4% black
    25.9% white
    12.5% Hispanic
    7 % Arabs and Bangladeshis
    1% Asian
    0.5 other

By that time, rents are high. Some hoods are longer hoods. Detroit will a first black female mayor with a Hispanic deputy mayor And Dan Gilbert has already been retired from Quicken Loans and passed away.

Detroit Pistons won their third NBA Championship in 2050.

Detroit Lions has won their fourth Super Bowl title. Their first Super Bowl Title in 2034.

Red Wings won their Stanley Cup [[back in 2046).

Tigers lost the their World Series title in back in 2028.

Detroit has a NEW WNBA team called The Detroit Cougars. And a new National League Baseball team called the Detroit Rockets.

Stellantis build their 125 story building in Downtown Detroit with joint partnership from Quicken Loans.

For Detroit to get back to almost a million people, is pretty ambitious I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    For Detroit to get back to almost a million people, is pretty ambitious I think.
    Covid and Biden grants allowed more hires to ACTUALLY count population better.
    S/A IRS audits.

One additional reason that Detroit's population may grow is the
    demographic change in how young people spend their lives and
    start their careers. Rather than marrying and starting a family a
    few years after high school, very many women are now earning
    college degrees. The percent of young people with college
    degrees is now considerably high for women than men. These
    women often pursue a career with firms located in large cities
    such as with financial service firms, medical sector employers
    and universities. Many of them will select the option to live
    in a large city in a neighborhood not far from their employer.
    However, we are seeing steadily falling fertility rates in the
    US so the number of births in the city may continue to decline.
    At some point it is possible that the nation's immigration policies
    will be liberalized since there are numerous economic benefits
    to population growth.

Of all the troubled Rust Belt cities, I think that Detroit is making the
    most progress in returning to modevitast population growth and economic vitality.

I'm sorry, could you define?
    Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    ...modevitast population growth and economic vitality.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I'm sorry, could you define?
    covfefe?

jcole,

Thank you for the message. I meant to type moderate but, instead, I
    typed modevitast.

I am sorry for the mistake.
    Ren

Not to put a damper on this but do we know the population actually increased? Clearly counting abandoned houses and subtracting them from the pop. makes no sense but is this more of a correction than an actual increase?

Good news to be sure. What is not really highlighted in the article is the crime stats. Lower crime rates [[or the impression of such) means more tax-paying citizens will want to move into Detroit.

here's another take on the "growth"... personally, I'll go with any/all growth is a positive thing

https://www.metrotimes.com/news/detr...ities-36288556

Detroit 2080

Population 1,567,872

32.7% white
    30.2% Hispanic
    18.9% black
    13% Arab and Bangladeshis
    4% Asian
    1% other

Roberto Hernandez is Detroit's first Hispanic Mayor. Hussein Al-Kahil is Detroit's first Arab American Deputy Mayor.

Detroit Tigers won the World Series against the Chicago Cubs.

Detroit Lions lost the Super Bowl against Las Vegas Raiders.

A 130 story skyscraper is currently in construction in Downtown Detroit.

The historic Renaissance Center Building is due for a wrecking ball. But the Detroit Riverfront Conservancy had petition the court to save the iconic building that represents Detroit's early renaissance.

Most Detroit neighborhoods from the west side to the east side has been gentrified. SW Detroit is losing Hispanic residents and migrated into two areas: Detroit's West Side and parts of the NW side from MLK Blvd. to the Southfield FWY. And rest of Downriver Suburbs from Lincoln Park to Taylor. MI.

The Bangladeshi community has expanded in most parts of Detroit's NE Side. White communities are in Downtown Detroit, Corktown, parts of SW Detroit in the once Mexican Village area, Brush Park, Cass Corridor, New Center Area, C.O.R.E. community, Lafayette Park, East Village, along Mack Ave, Chene St. to the Packard Properties up the East Side. Arab Communities has expanded past Dearborn to most parts of Detroit West Side and has expanded further westward to parts of Redford TWP, Livonia and up to Westland and parts of Canton TWP.

The Remaining Detroit Black communities for on the East Side along Mack Ave to the borders of Grosse Pointes and Harper Woods area. And has expanded further to Clinton TWP. And parts of NW Detroit pass Redford TWP. most of Livonia, Southfield, Oak Park, parts of Berkley, Huntington Woods, Pleasant Ridge, Ferndale, West Bloomfield TWP, parts of Bloomfield, TWP. half of Farmington and Farmington Hills.

Rents and property values are high. Detroit Housing Commission has built 5 section 8 housing units. To reduced the growing homeless problem, The City of Detroit in partnership with Salvation Army Bed in Bread Club, D.A.B.O. and Focus HOPE had offered covered homeless encampment areas mentally institutions and work programs for their recovery to rejoin society.

800K with a vibrant downtown and nice neighborhoods, I'd take any day. We don't need to be Chicago or NYC. Just keep moving in this direction.

"The average home price in the United States was $495,100 in the second quarter of 2023, according to the Census Bureau and Department of Housing and Urban Development. By comparison, the median U.S. home price in June 2023 was $426,056, according to Redfin. -5/4/24"

"
    In April 2024, the median listing home price in Detroit, MI was $89.9K, trending up 13.8% year-over-year. The median listing home price per square foot was $79. The median home sold price was $80K. -realtor.com"

The difference in price between the US and the Detroit housing markets probably plays a part in deciding to stay in or locate to Detroit.

Agree with oladub here. What Detroit has an abundance of is room to build every conceivable kind of housing. Single family houses, new apartments, condos, row housing… Plenty of space for anything and everything in a country where many cities have an acute shortage of vacant land. If the economic opportunity exists here and the crime issues can be controlled… People will come and more that are here will stay for reasonable housing costs. That problem is becoming a far larger issue on the national stage. Detroit and the State of Michigan could easily play that reality to an advantage.

Hopefully with increased population comes with increased diversity in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Hopefully with increased population comes with increased diversity in the city.
    This was already happening, no? Census numbers 2010 vs 2020
    Black 82.7% -> 77.7%
    Non-Hisp White 7.8% -> 9.5%
    Hisp 6.8% -> 7.7%
    Asian 1.1% -> 1.5%
    Other/Mixed 5.6% -> 9.5%

Of course, this is only one sort of diversity, and the future is unwritten, but looks like things are trending that way.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Black 82.7% -> 77.7%
    Hisp 6.8% -> 7.7%
    Asian 1.1% -> 1.5%
    Other/Mixed 5.6% -> 9.5%

Of course, this is only one sort of diversity, and the future is unwritten, but looks like things are trending that way.
    Black 82.7% -> 77.7% a loss of 5 percent

Out of 633,000 Detroit residents, There were 775,000 blacks and over 285,000 blacks had flighted to the suburbs or any other cities. Of course it's due to violent crime, poor city services, poor schools, ghetto formed hoods, food deserts, gentrification and high rents.

Non-Hisp White 7.8% -> 9.5% there were 88,000 whites Detroiters in 2010 now its about 95,000. This is due to high market demand of gentrified housing From Downtown Detroit to Brush Park, Cass Corridor, New Center Area and Corktown. New job opportunities, a better improved Downtown Detroit thanks to Dan Gilbert and lots of every weekend events.

Hisp 6.8% -> 7.7% 2010 an 0.9 precent increase from 48,000 to 56,000. This is due to traditional Mexican Families passing their properties to their siblings, a gold mine landscaping and construction jobs for them. If the job base is getting better for them, they will tell their family and friends to come to Detroit. But expect any dreamers to come to Detroit yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Black 82.7% -> 77.7%
    Hisp 6.8% -> 7.7%
    Asian 1.1% -> 1.5%
    Other/Mixed 5.6% -> 9.5%

It has been getting better no doubt, but actual long term, sustained growth is going to mean diversification on a massive scale that too many "residents of Detroit" will be pushing against unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    It has been getting better no doubt, but actual long term, sustained growth is going to mean diversification on a massive scale that too many "residents of Detroit" will be pushing against unfortunately.
    Could be true. I suspect a lot will depend on the pace of change. It's a big deal to go from losing population to gaining population, but if you are talking lowish-single-digit thousands/year, mostly accommodated by new construction or conversion of existing non-residential space, that's a very gradual process that I would expect most people will easily be able to tolerate. If you start seeing mass displacement and radical changes in population composition, that will be a different story. I don't expect that, but it's not impossible.

I didn't want to start a new thread on this... so I thought this was the place to post it. Talks about the Sunbelt migration may be slowing down. Now no one can really make a prediction based on this, but it does give one pause, if you want to move to the Sunbelt. After all winters now in metro Detroit have been getting rather milder.

The Sun Belt Boom Is Over | Opinion [[msn.com)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast