Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I'm surprised some people buying new homes in Detroit still don't demand attached garages. I realize it goes against urban living, walkability, lot sizes, etc. but it is a benefit to owning a detached home. There is the safety aspect for your vehicle as well. When was the last time a home was built in the burbs without one?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I'm surprised some people buying new homes in Detroit still don't demand attached garages. I realize it goes against urban living, walkability, lot sizes, etc. but it is a benefit to owning a detached home. There is the safety aspect for your vehicle as well. When was the last time a home was built in the burbs without one?
    This isn't the right way to look at it. I'm sure there are a lot of people for whom an attached garage is important, and they probably aren't buying these houses. But you only have to find some people who want a particular house; doesn't have to appeal to everyone. Also, I can tell you from personal experience that my wife would really like an attached garage, but we don't have one because it wasn't the only criterion.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    This isn't the right way to look at it. I'm sure there are a lot of people for whom an attached garage is important, and they probably aren't buying these houses. But you only have to find some people who want a particular house; doesn't have to appeal to everyone. Also, I can tell you from personal experience that my wife would really like an attached garage, but we don't have one because it wasn't the only criterion.
    I did say some people. I wasn't necessarily thinking about these few houses but anytime I've seen new homes within the city they appear to be similar to this. Then I remembered the Marina district, which were more suburban style.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    To answer your question, in Birmingham they are building new detached garage homes constantly. Walkability is in high demand these days and street facing garage doors on the front of the house are a negative to that.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    To answer your question, in Birmingham they are building new detached garage homes constantly. Walkability is in high demand these days and street facing garage doors on the front of the house are a negative to that.
    This has more to do with builders putting 3,000 square foot houses on a lot that once had a 1,500 square foot house. You put the garage in back and you can squeeze in a few hundred more square feet of house. It has no overall effect on walkability, as these neighborhoods have been around for 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    This has more to do with builders putting 3,000 square foot houses on a lot that once had a 1,500 square foot house. You put the garage in back and you can squeeze in a few hundred more square feet of house. It has no overall effect on walkability, as these neighborhoods have been around for 50 years.
    Street facing driveways definitely do have a big impact on walkability. But I'm pretty sure Birmingham doesn't have alleyways in it's neighborhoods so they have to have street facing garages detached or not.

Detached alley facing garages was the correct choice for these Detroit homes.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Street facing driveways definitely do have a big impact on walkability. But I'm pretty sure Birmingham doesn't have alleyways in it's neighborhoods so they have to have street facing garages detached or not.
    I agree that they generally do, but usually because they increase the width of the lot required for each home. in this case probably not so much as the lot sizes were already in place, which I think was what JBMcB was
    suggesting; the lot size caused them to move the garage, rather than the garage forcing them to widen the lot, so the walkability was basically the same as previously, despite the larger houses.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2