Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
They're not undocumented illegal immigrants, they're legal asylum seekers. They're waiting for court dates to determine their status, and if they're declined then they get sent back.

This isn't a situation like Mexicans immigrating illegally 20 years ago, where they have their own functional country that they can build a life in, but chose to come here to make more money.

The countries these people are coming from have been taken over by gangs who rape rob and beat as they please. If you get on the gang's bad side you and your family's life is over. They forcibly recruit kids into the gangs and if they resist them and their family's life is over. The governments deploy the military to retake territory from the gangs but it doesn't work. These places have levels of violence on par with Syria and Afghanistan. On top of that, aside from the normal extreme poverty these countries normally face, there have been natural disasters to make things worse.

According to international law, US law, and basic human decency, these people are refugees and are allowed to stay in the US.
Call them undocumented persons, call them illegal aliens, migrants or whatever you want. I'm aware most come from unfortunate situations, but there has to be some limits to their arrival here.

I'm not against immigration. My grandparents on both sides were immigrants. they came here in what was a legal manner back then.

Obviously, we cannot afford to house, feed, provide medical care to 9 million people who have come through our borders. If certain individuals want to sponsor persons or families, and bear the financial and other responsibility for that, I think that's very laudable. But the situation is just not tenable, we cannot be the saviors for the world.