That's the reason why even I don't think they should touch the school districts. While they might consolidate a few of the smaller districts, I think keeping most of the school districts relatively intact is important. Busing was probably one of the biggest single "mistakes" in causing white flight. In fact, I think breaking DPS up into smaller districts would probably be better than consolidating all the local districts. And even if there was consolidation into one unified district, there is absolutely no way I would support busing. [[And I'm all for breaking down racial barriors.)

Also, only consolidating Wayne County with Detroit isn't a good idea. For one, it defeats one of the biggest purposes of the unigov: city/suburban cooperation. Wayne County and Detroit don't have as big of a strained relationship as Detroit and Oakland/Macomb Counties. For a unigov system to truly be effective you need to include the entire Tri-County area.

And the whole idea that people in Rochester Hills will pack up and head for "100 Mile Rd" is silly. For one, little would change in the area. The only difference is that they would see a drop in their taxes.