Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Lilpup, I did think that many of the works of art are probably donated, and that is a good point. I am not certain how much of the art the city owns, though I will poke around and see if I can find anything. Still, I think the value of whatever the city does own could be in the hundreds of millions.

Without digging out my notes from class, I believe that if the city goes into bankruptcy, the DIA would not be affected too bad. I remember something about that the city now has oversight on the place, but essentially the DIA runs as a separate entity from the city. I can't remember if it is the DIA, or the DHM that has the city board positions unfilled for sometime now [[at least they were back two years ago).

I also think that the city cannot make the DIA deaccession and sell items from its collection in order to cover city debets. Thanks goodness because, considering the moronic actions of the Detroit government, I'm sure that many items would have been liquidated over the years to pay for MonCon's transportation and lunches. I think that was changed fairly recently. Everyone has to remember that when Engler changed funding for the Arts in Michigan, repositories like the DIA became more stand-alone than before.

I've seen some posters on this site that are affiliated with eh DIA, or at least know a heck of a lot of what's going on in there, so hopefully they will chime in [[or I can get board and dig through my material) and provide more accurate information

PS -- Never go to Wikipedia for any factual information. It's a junk site that is not even a creditable research tool for high school work and is largely considered drek.
    Last edited by Baselinepunk; August-29-09 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    PS -- Never go to Wikipedia for any factual information. It's a junk site that is not even a creditable research tool for high school work and is largely considered drek.
    I appreciate the tip, but I just found the link to the Detroit budget report there. The quote comes from the actual budget report.

Thanks for the info. Given the state the city's been in for years, it seems a minor miracle that the DIA is doing as well as it is.

Rosa, you did the right thing when working with 'pedia. Most people don't bother to look at the links to the citations. And, I should pardon myself a little; I've been beaten over the head recently regarding avocation of the validity of 'pedia [[yes, sadly even from some university professors) that I get a little grumpy when I see it used as a source. I see absolutely no use, other than recreational, for that site. I wish it would slide quietly into the ether.
    Last edited by Baselinepunk; August-29-09 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    Rosa, you did the right thing when working with 'pedia. Most people don't bother to look at the links to the citations. And, I should pardon myself a little; I've been beaten over the head recently regarding avocation of the validity of 'pedia [[yes, sadly even from some university professors) that I get a little grumpy when I see it used as a source. I see absolutely no use, other than recreational, for that site. I wish it would slide quietly into the ether.
    No worries. You're absolutely right about that site. Its only worth is as a quick source of links to other sites about a subject. Your experience with the professors makes me glad it's been a long time since I was in college.

I do hope everyone is right about the DIA being safe. I had scary visions of the Riviera Court being moved to Bill Gates' pad in Patagonia.

Thankfully, the amount of professors I have encountered have bunked that site; however, a recent encounter with a real piece of work has caused me to harden my stance regarding that dump of a site even more. Not for public review, but you would be extremely surprised at what University school they "instruct" at.

I don't there is anything to worry about. Further, in response to the above claim from another poster regarding the amount of money the City of Detroit spent on the recent upgrades at the DIA, I am fairly certain that the money spent on renovations is above the amount stated, and came from the DIA's own Capital Campaign they spent years fund raising for. I believe that a very low amount of city fiduciary resources were used on that project.

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    Lilpup, I did think that many of the works of art are probably donated, and that is a good point. I am not certain how much of the art the city owns, though I will poke around and see if I can find anything. Still, I think the value of whatever the city does own could be in the hundreds of millions.
    The City of Detroit owns MOST of the collection outright via direct purchase. This means that there are no donor restrictions on sale as you have with other famous collections. DIA is unique in that the City was very active in the early years to assemble all those works.

What the City owns is worth billions.