Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    Customs officials at the border may ask for your cell phone. If you refuse, you may not be allowed to enter. That seems reasonable to me.

At the border not elsewhere, e.g., not 100 miles from the border.
    This isn't new.

They can seize and search any digital device. They can demand social media passwords too. I don't think there is anything digital they can't collect. For many, that pretty much gives them access to our entire lives.

It doesn't just apply to foreigners-- US citizens too.

They don't give back the electronics they seize right away. Nor are they obligated to return them in good working condition.

Doesn't seem reasonable to me without reasonable suspicion and a warrant approved by a judge. Getting a warrant could be fast, e.g., FISA court.

Why does this seem reasonable to you?

BTW there is nowhere in MI not within 100 miles of a Great Lake [[and that's what they consider the border) so everyone anywhere in the entire State is subject to this. Even if you've never left the country.

Fear Materialized: Border Agents Demand Social Media Data from Americans
    https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2017/0...data-americans
    Last edited by bust; February-13-21 at 02:38 PM.