Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 36 of 68 FirstFirst ... 26 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 46 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    With the smoking issue, probably obesity is causative of worse outcomes.

Many who smoke avoid weight gain when they smoke. However some smokers are obese.

Nicotine in and of itself might be helpful, but due to its powerful addictive qualities, it isn't a medication I'd want to test.
    One of Nicotine's many effects is that it lowers your immune system. As does having an acidic PH balance.

Things like fried oils and sugar lower your ph balance number [[towards acidic),.. and artificial sweeteners like Aspartame are hyper acidic.

So if you smoke, eat fried foods, eat lots of grains, drink diet soda-pop,.. you will have a greatly reduced ability to fight disease.
    Last edited by Bigdd; May-15-20 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    ... raise your ph balance [[towards acidic),....
    That's exactly backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    That's exactly backwards.
    WHOOPS !

Thank you. I'll go back and correct that.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    And then there's this barber in NYC.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/barber-il...144907278.html

"A New York barber who defied stay-at-home orders and continued to "illicitly" cut hair has tested positive for coronavirus, county officials said in a public health notice this week. Ulster County officials are now recommending anyone who received a haircut from the barber in the past three weeks should seek a coronavirus test."

The barber in Owosso is 77 years old and has been in business since 1966. Odds are he's been collecting Social Security for nearly a decade, probably received the $1200 stimulus, is likely still eligible to file for unemployment and the $600 weekly Fed bonus [[Up to $960 per week) and could have applied for the forgivable PPP loans. In other words, it's doubtful that he was without other options.

Of course there's always the chance that he's done all that and this is an example of government bureaucracy getting in the way, but experience tells me it's more likely to be the case of a stubborn old man that just wants to continue doing what he's always done regardless. That's something I can totally understand as I'm well on my way to being in the same category, but that doesn't make what he's doing acceptable, and the State is right for stepping in.

Yep. This is why as a personal option everyone will have to choose rather to patronize a business or not.

Even if said business is OPEN, it's smart to weigh the risks.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    And then there's this barber in NYC.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/barber-il...144907278.html

"A New York barber who defied stay-at-home orders and continued to "illicitly" cut hair has tested positive for coronavirus, county officials said in a public health notice this week. Ulster County officials are now recommending anyone who received a haircut from the barber in the past three weeks should seek a coronavirus test."

The barber in Owosso is 77 years old and has been in business since 1966. Odds are he's been collecting Social Security for nearly a decade, probably received the $1200 stimulus, is likely still eligible to file for unemployment and the $600 weekly Fed bonus [[Up to $960 per week) and could have applied for the forgivable PPP loans. In other words, it's doubtful that he was without other options.

Of course there's always the chance that he's done all that and this is an example of government bureaucracy getting in the way, but experience tells me it's more likely to be the case of a stubborn old man that just wants to continue doing what he's always done regardless. That's something I can totally understand as I'm well on my way to being in the same category, but that doesn't make what he's doing acceptable, and the State is right for stepping in.

Here's one that "licitly" opened and contracted the virus. Not a barber, but close enough. They're looking for customers she worked on.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/oklahoma-...024254785.html

I don't think it's a matter of being stubborn as much as it's old age and the fear of things changing. One older couple I know is probably unaffected by the quarantine. He's @ least receptive to new things, she's happy as a clam sitting on the couch and yelling @ Trump on the boob-tube. Changing and learning new things is frightening for elderly. The barber probably doesn't have any idea how to go about applying for any assistance. He's just continuing doing what he knows. Yes, the State was right to intervene.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post

You are basing a decision on what you think his income is,you think it is enough for him to survive and therefore justifies the state actions.

But we do not know.

The case in NY to me,should be taken with a grain of salt because every day we hear about false positives or false negittives.

It is just like the ones here that were chastising Georgia for reopening and saying cases increased after re opening,when everything else points to cases decreasing.

So they take one case or example,right or wrong,and use that as an example that impacts the lives of millions.

Then they blow it up,while producing no facts and leave it up to creative minds to twist it towards their individual agenda or decision.

In this case without reviewing his financial records,how can we dispute his claims?

Look a barber that reopened in New York caught the virus,lets use that as an example of why 325 million people in the US should remain on lockdown and not go back to work,even though while in lockdown people are still catching it.
    Last edited by Richard; May-15-20 at 12:16 PM.

Once the science of how much SARS-CoV-2 and nicotine bind to various receptors is better sorted out, and it is understood how and when they block each other from various receptors, it will also be better understood how to prescribe nicotine if it is indicated.

If those who become positive for COVID-19 suddenly can't stand to smoke or vape that could be an indication that the SARS-CoV-2 is blocking their receptors that nicotine usually binds to.

The unfortunate thing is about widely publicizing this preliminary research is that there are vulnerable people without access to quality medical care who will start smoking to relieve anxiety and in their minds ward off COVID-19. Access to cigarettes is often much better than access to primary care physicians and lab tests. This is true in my neighborhood. If I wanted a cigarette I could walk half a block to the corner gas station. When I wanted a primary care physician, I contacted a regional medical provider and made an appointment with a new one - one of the earliest that the provider had available - that was six months away.

^^^ Oh my! You're making me want to light up! ----

Please don't smoke! Calling an appointment line, making the doctor's appointment for six months out, talking with the doctor, getting some tests and treatments that you hadn't originally planned on, waiting indefinitely for some results, and paying for it....that is so much better!

[[I know. But thank you for not smoking - it is appreciated!)

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Here's one that "licitly" opened and contracted the virus. Not a barber, but close enough. They're looking for customers she worked on.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/oklahoma-...024254785.html

I don't think it's a matter of being stubborn as much as it's old age and the fear of things changing. One older couple I know is probably unaffected by the quarantine. He's @ least receptive to new things, she's happy as a clam sitting on the couch and yelling @ Trump on the boob-tube. Changing and learning new things is frightening for elderly. The barber probably doesn't have any idea how to go about applying for any assistance. He's just continuing doing what he knows. Yes, the State was right to intervene.
    He was a barber taking care of his customers for over 50 years,outside of the book thing that was his life,they took that from him.

A lot of the older generation feels that when you stop you do die,and definitely are not about taking money from the federal government for doing nothing,different sense of pride then what we see today,there was even a time when people were embarrassed to even take food stamps.

The view was if you have to rely on the government then your worth to the community had no value,if you could not provide for your family then something was wrong with you.

My barber is 90 and still clipping away old school,the guy I bought my houses from is 105,at age 100 he would go into the yard and dig a hole,it would take him 3 days but it was a scheduled job and it kept him busy.It was a continuous cycle of digging holes.

Some are so used to working every day they cannot handle sitting around locked down,if you are used to working hard your whole life it is hard to adjust to not working.

If one is going to die,would you rather pass locked down like a criminal or pass doing something that you have enjoyed doing for the last 50 years.

America was founded in the individuals freedom of choice from oppression,so let’s lock down the entire country and be amazed at people exercising their right to the very freedoms that this country was founded on.

Of course it is clear that even before the virus hit their were plenty that wished for nothing more then to be able to control everything.
    Last edited by Richard; May-15-20 at 02:49 PM.

Name:  hippies won.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  55.6 KB

You can still by pot and you can still play the state lottery,we will tell you what vices you may partake in after we eliminated the competition.

The nurse that got busted with the 150lbs at the border,I thought legalizing weed was to stop the illegal trade?

^^^ Winners and losers... as Selected by the very elect!

Anyone watch Hunger Games lately?

But you can't cash the tickets. I think it's a tax revenue issue
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    You can still by pot and you can still play the state lottery,we will tell you what vices you may partake in after we eliminated the competition.

The nurse that got busted with the 150lbs at the border,I thought legalizing weed was to stop the illegal trade?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    But you can't cash the tickets. I think it's a tax revenue issue
    I did not think about that,our system is set up where $500 or less is paid out at the retailer in cash and then they have little lottery centers that cut checks for higher amounts or you have to drive up to Tallahassee,which could be 300 miles for some.

A percentage of ours goes to schools.

So if they are collecting and not paying out,that is a lot of interest they are collecting while sitting on it and banking,I wonder who gets to keep the interest.

I rarely play it anyways and it irks me when I have to stand in line behind somebody that cannot make up their mind on which scratch off to buy,my little hood store people drop 2 - $300 frequently.

During the real estate crash Illinois stopped paying out over $5000,but they still sold an opportunity to win.

In the Philippines they have a shoot to kill Oder in effect for breaking lock down restrictions.

You have to have a Virus ID and a virus pass to go out and they have police checkpoints set up all over.
    Last edited by Richard; May-16-20 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Winners and losers... as Selected by the very elect!

Anyone watch Hunger Games lately?
    Hannibal Lecter said,do not worry about food shortages,we still have each other.

I'm good. The cost and hassles of purchasing cigarettes puts me off enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    Please don't smoke! Calling an appointment line, making the doctor's appointment for six months out, talking with the doctor, getting some tests and treatments that you hadn't originally planned on, waiting indefinitely for some results, and paying for it....that is so much better!

[[I know. But thank you for not smoking - it is appreciated!)

Stephen King wrote a novel sometime back in the 1970s called The Dead Zone. It’s about the rise of a ruthless politician who essentially cons the American people into office, carefully disguising his evil nature with bald promises and demagoguery. His rise to power seems inevitable, almost preordained, until the very end when he’s brought down because, trying to defend himself from a sniper, he picks up a little baby and uses him as a human shield, all in front of an aghast crowd of onlookers.
    Perhaps the American people, who Republicans clearly intend to sacrifice in the coming months, are just like that little baby. And perhaps this is the Republican Party's "human shield" moment, when the full extent of their moral depravity is finally revealed.
    It sure looks like we’re about to find out.
    Last edited by Jimaz; May-16-20 at 10:40 PM.

^^^ Moral depravity? That's hold up in only one area of politics [[the repubs?)??!

I'm starting to feel relieved knowing it's so neatly walled off!
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-17-20 at 07:35 AM.

Donald Trump's shifting "predictions" on the U.S. death toll of COVID-19:

February 2020: "Close to zero"
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/timelin...n-coronavirus/

April 20: 50,000 - 60,000
    “Right now we are heading to 50,000 and according to the projections we will end up with 60,000 by the end of the pandemic”
    https://en.as.com/en/2020/04/21/othe...89_908966.html

April 27: 60,000 -70,000
    "But if you look at what original projections were, 2.2 million, we are probably heading to 60,000 to 70,000."
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...navirus-213314

May 4: 75,000 - 100,000
    "Look, we're going to lose anywhere from 75, 80 to 100,000 people.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...0-000-n1199161

FYI, the death toll as of today is 90,100. We will almost certainly exceed 100,000 deaths by the end of next week.
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Time for Trump to "revise" his prediction upwards again.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post

FYI, the death toll as of today is 90,100. We will almost certainly exceed 100,000 deaths by the end of next week.
    No, not really. Probably more like 65,000. Doctors are being pressured to inflate the numbers. This is well established. Every thinking person knows this.

Official documents have come out proving this is happening. Doctors by the dozens have risked their careers to tell us this.

You just choose to ignore the facts, and instead choose to believe your masters in the media.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    No, not really. Probably more like 65,000. Doctors are being pressured to inflate the numbers. This is well established. Every thinking person knows this.
    Then provide proof. We already know that BOTH federal authorities and those of some states, like Florida, are insisting that coroners not list Covid as cause of death. Those have been reported on and documented by tweets and press conferences FROM either governors/Trump or those high up in their organizations.

Show me any PROOF that they are being pressured to artificially raise the number of cases and deaths. You do not have any.

Because it is a fair assumption that people who make comments such as you have do not actually understanding what proof is [[it is not "this guy with no understanding of contagious disease said so"), here is the definition:
    "the cogency of evidence that compels acceptance by the mind of a truth or a fact."
    Such things that provide compelling evidence to a reasonable person would be statements from the actual person accused of "a" actually admitting they did [[including tweets from that person's account), written directives of such actions, corroborating testimony from those directed to do so - particularly if the person risks their position to provide such testimony. In other words, data that can be traced and verified.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Then provide proof. We already know that BOTH federal authorities and those of some states, like Florida, are insisting that coroners not list Covid as cause of death. Those have been reported on and documented by tweets and press conferences FROM either governors/Trump or those high up in their organizations.

Show me any PROOF that they are being pressured to artificially raise the number of cases and deaths. You do not have any.

Why? You have no proof that half of the people listed as covid deaths ever had covid.

You first. If people are gonna claim 90,000 - 100,000 deaths,.. I wanna see proof.

I know of people that went into the hospital for other things,.. then were diagnosed with covid [[but were never allowed to see any proof),. then treated for the thing they actually went in for and released.

Never having any symptoms of covid.

That lie was handy though,... because otherwise the hospital wouldn't have gotten paid,.. and the sick people wouldn't have gotten much treatment.

But with a covid diagnosis,... BAM,.. the hospital had $13k to play with, and my friends got treated for their issues.

Hospital and associated cost financing has always been a shell game. Otherwise care for the indigent would not exist.

Page 36 of 68 FirstFirst ... 26 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 46 ... LastLast