Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
I've heard of people living in cities wanting to leave not just because of the virus but because they are going stir crazy in their tiny and expensive apartments. People will eventually return to the city, but in the meantime, it makes sense to want a backyard and your own personal space to spend outdoors. . . .Exorbitant city rents and real estate will go down
We heard this same forecast for the inevitable trend away from urbanization immediately after the 2001 terrorist attack--particularly with regard to the NYC & DC markets. In the scheme of things, it was barely a blip. Not only did demand quickly recover in the most densely populated districts of most major cities, areas like DC & NYC were on the leading edge of soaring values right up until the 2008 crash.

Even taking into account the severe effect of the crash, within 5 years, demand & prices went into the stratosphere, with residential towers springing up in the urban cores of NYC, Los Angeles, Miami, and Chicago like weeds.

That's not to say the same pattern will necessarily recur after this crisis---or it will apply to the situation unique to Detroit. Sarcasm aside, I'm with gnome

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
In contrast to everyone else, I have no idea what is going to happen.