Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 21 of 52 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 31 ... LastLast

I've been asked a few times on this forum why I think Chief Craig isn't the right person to lead DPD.
    Well here again is another perfect example. You have an employee not feeling well, leaving work on Monday, then taking Tuesday off and coming back to work Wednesday.
    This was all after Mike Duggan told people the Friday beforehand not to come to work sick. Sure one person can slip under the Police Department's radar, but this was at HQ's and he left work early, showing people he was sick.
    That entire force needed to know don't come to work sick and I'm wondering just what leadership they got from Craig on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Nightmares used to be something you woke up from, not to.
    The other day, after waking up from a pleasant dream, I thought this must be a bit like what prisoners experience every morning. An unchanged and unpleasant reality meets one, day after day, and the foreseeable future is grim.
    I imagine it's a bit like trying to live life in a war-torn country. Maybe this is a lesson Americans need to learn.

Zero tolerance policies have had a backlash among the eldery imprisoned that may be particulary relevant to the coronavirus.

Last edited by Jimaz; March-24-20 at 09:54 PM.

"Look into the future what do you see? I really need to know now if there's a place for me? If we're going to survive, the dream must stay alive!"

The other day, after waking up from a pleasant dream, I thought this must be a bit like what prisoners experience every morning. An unchanged and unpleasant reality meets one, day after day, and the foreseeable future is grim.
    I'm pretty sure you can come and go more or less as you please, walk outside when you want to, wear the clothes of your choice, watch TV or listen to music when you want, eat what you want, when you choose, get mail, browse the web, buy things, talk on the phone to whoever you want, day or night, not have to worry about being attacked in your sleep or the shower [[which you can take alone or with the friend of your choice), etc., etc., etc.

Yup, just like prison.

The foreseeable future is only grim for the jaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can come and go more or less as you please, walk outside when you want to, wear the clothes of your choice, watch TV or listen to music when you want, eat what you want, when you choose, get mail, browse the web, buy things, talk on the phone to whoever you want, day or night, not have to worry about being attacked in your sleep or the shower [[which you can take alone or with the friend of your choice), etc., etc., etc.

Yup, just like prison.

The foreseeable future is only grim for the jaded.
    I though exactly that when I wrote that post and was and am even more thankful for my freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Nightmares used to be something you woke up from, not to.
    Ron Gardenhire, 2019

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Had to stop at the bank today to make a deposit, drive through windows were closed for some reason, lobby was open, tellers were completely unprotected.
    The tellers in my bank [[Comerica) are protected -- by two inches of plexiglass.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat001 View Post
    The tellers in my bank [[Comerica) are protected -- by two inches of plexiglass.

A business of mine has bullet-proof glass in front of our employees. And it's on the windy side of the building,.. so with the exterior window cracked,.. air comes in and then EXITS the slot where transactions occur. So my peeps wear gloves, have hand sanitizer,... and so far have been fine. But who knows what the future holds.

Good and bad news from ICELAND,... they're the only country to be able to test EVERYONE,... and they have found that 1/2 of the people who've contracted Covid-19 never had any symptoms. So on one hand,... for the 10 - 80% of whatever of us one day contract it,.. we have a 50% chance of no suffering,.. but on the other hand,... how does one know to stay isolated if they never have symptoms?

I have a pulse-ox meter, thermometers, blood-pressure monitors etc,... and so far all show perfectly normal. But that may not mean anything.

I though exactly that when I wrote that post and was and am even more thankful for my freedom.
    After seeing how a lot of the rest of the world is,if I wake up in the morning with a roof over my head and food in my tummy,no matter what happens it still does not equal what others go through just to exist.

Lots do not know what freedom is until it is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat001 View Post
    Not at the Bank of America I went to yesterday. Totally wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    After seeing how a lot of the rest of the world is,if I wake up in the morning with a roof over my head and food in my tummy,no matter what happens it still does not equal what others go through just to exist.

Lots do not know what freedom is until it is gone.
    Got that right, what percentage of the world lives in shanty towns or worse, doesn’t have plumbing, doesn’t know what a hot shower is.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Got that right, what percentage of the world lives in shanty towns or worse, doesn’t have plumbing, doesn’t know what a hot shower is.
    The number of people in the world who lack basic sanitation [[ie. some form of toilet) is 2 Billion, roughly about 26% of the global population.

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-s...ail/sanitation

As a curious note, 1.6M Americans also lack access to indoor plumbing.

We have some of that in Canada as well, though I couldn't pin down that number with a quick search.

On a global basis, the percentage of people living in 'shanty towns' [[or slums) is 29.7%

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EN.POP.SLUM.UR.ZS

A Canadian grocery chain, Sobey's, introduced these last week. Coming soon to a grocery store near you - sneeze shields. "God Bless You" replaced by "You jack ass!"

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...us/5079472002/
    Last edited by 401don; March-25-20 at 03:05 PM.

I'm pretty shocked that Whitmer has yet to ask for a federal disaster declaration for Michigan. What the hell is she waiting for? The state of Michigan is on the exact same trajectory as New York State. Today, Michigan tied Louisiana for the most deaths in a single day related to covid-19.

Check out Michigan's trajectory here:https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...y-country.html

At this rate, Michigan will overtake Washington State and California for confirmed cases by next week.
    Last edited by iheartthed; March-25-20 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I don't understand why they don't just shut everything down immediately. Have everyone self-quarantine for 2-3 weeks. I mean everything except police, fire, health care, etc. Just get it over with instead of letting all these local authorities decide as it continues to spread. Isn't that the best way to stop it and wouldn't it be better for everyone, including business, airlines, etc.?
    Forget it. They'll never listen.

I am surprised the numbers are not higher for Calli in a way.

We have so many states just starting to have their run of the virus.

As I have said before I'm sure the UP is happy about the complete shut-down of the state!

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I'm pretty shocked that Whitmer has yet to ask for a federal disaster declaration for Michigan. What the hell is she waiting for? The state of Michigan is on the exact same trajectory as New York State. Today, Michigan tied Louisiana for the most deaths in a single day related to covid-19.

I'm pretty shocked that Whitmer has yet to ask for a federal disaster declaration for Michigan.
    There is no disaster.

I'm pretty shocked that Whitmer has yet to ask for a federal disaster declaration for Michigan. What the hell is she waiting for?.
    Because she is not a branch of the federal government.

March 11 she did declare a state of emergency,when the first case appeared,when she declares a state of emergency and after she submits the declaration to the federal government she opened up the state to federal help.

That is the procedure,you have to ask the feds,they cannot just come into your state and take over.

Federal is the feds,State is the state.

When you see splashed on the screen ,President Trump has approved Federal Disaster funds for X state,it is just their wording,State of emergency declared by the governors is asking for federal disaster assistance.

Even at that the federal government cannot just tell you how to pour the coffee,they can suggest and offer recommendations but it is your house you still hold the keys.

I can tell you how the separation between federal government and the states and how it came about but that will lead down a rabbit hole of distraction.

Federal government oversees the country as a whole,Governors oversee the state through the feds,then it is the mayors.

The Mayor of Detroit knows Detroit better then the governor
    The Governor of Michigan knows Michigan better then any president.

It is not the presidents job to micro manage Detroit or Michigan.That is your elected officials job.

Doubtful if he would ever do it but the president can shut the entire country down,but it would cause massive fall out.

This is the United States,not like some of the little countries that equate to one of our states in size.

In the bigger picture you have to weigh the impact of the virus verses the impact of the economy.

If you have small clusters and other parts of the state that are not impacted why cut off everybody’s legs?

That is why they leave it up to the individual mayors and governors because they can decide fast.

I see people campaigning for a national shut down but that is like going duck hunting with a stick of dynamite,why destroy the whole flock to get one duck.

Not with this president. It would be seen as his ultimate rise to power...

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I don't understand why they don't just shut everything down immediately. Have everyone self-quarantine for 2-3 weeks. I mean everything except police, fire, health care, etc...

I'm pretty shocked that Whitmer has yet to ask for a federal disaster declaration for Michigan....
    I thought she already had asked on March 16?

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer declared a state of emergency on Tuesday as she confirmed the first two cases of the novel coronavirus [[COVID-19) in the state.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/michi...A&guccounter=2

She declared on March 10th

Governors say the Federal government should take the reigns but the reality of it is if they do then the governor becomes the puppet,you honestly believe she is ready to hand the keys over to the federal government,are you guys ready to go under federal control and all it brings?
    Last edited by Richard; March-25-20 at 07:40 PM.

Sorry posting the link above stretches the reply out.

President declared national emergency on March 13th which freed up disaster funds.

How it works and because the feds are slow the states declare state of emergency and operate off of the rainy day fund,you guys had 1.3 billon in yours.

Basically you declare and save your receipts and then get reimbursed by the feds.

Based on the timeline in Jimaz link it makes zero sense because she would be asking for the president to declare 4 days after he already did.

The President does not have a checkbook in his desk drawer,there are like 30 agencies involved that have to sign off that are also dealing with 50 other states.

You think dealing with the city gov is bad,try the feds.

I see what Iheartd was referring to

LANSING — Michigan has not yet requested a major disaster declaration for the coronavirus, a spokesman for the Federal Emergency Management Agency said Wednesday.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...us/5077623002/

That was posted 4 hours ago,which makes even less sense because it has been posted in one of these virus threads,the copy of her declaration and I made a comment if she was going to mail it in.

She May have done the paperwork but not submitted it?

Somebody is hoodwinking either FEMA or the governor.
    Last edited by Richard; March-25-20 at 08:07 PM.

FEMA: Michigan has not requested major disaster declaration for coronavirus

LANSING — Michigan has not yet requested a major disaster declaration for the coronavirus, a spokesman for the Federal Emergency Management Agency said Wednesday.

The administration of President Donald Trump has already declared major disasters for Iowa, Lousiana, New York, California and Washington, officials confirmed.

But for Michigan, where the number of confirmed cases topped 2,200 Wednesday, with at least 43 deaths, "FEMA has not yet received a request for a major disaster declaration," spokesman Michael Hart said.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...us/5077623002/

She has not yet asked for one.

^ sorry we posted at the same time.

Page 21 of 52 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 31 ... LastLast