Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 84 of 263 FirstFirst ... 34 74 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 94 134 184 ... LastLast
Results 2,076 to 2,100 of 6559

that could be possible. Mr. Wernet's name was Richard, and Mrs. was Rosemary. There may have been an older brother - he would have been 6 yrs older than me, so it could be.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    Clutch Clete!

Boy, I didn't think they had a chance in this one especially after the rain delay. This Avila kid's a keeper too. I know how Leyland is with his loyalty to players, but I don't see how he can keep playing Laird until this kid cools off.

Great win heading to the coast!

nope, just remembered Mr. Wernet was Willard.

This is what I come up with when I google GA's address:
    New Greater Zion Hill
    New Greater Zion Hill located on the Kelly Road in Detroit is a home for the troubled souls. From mass prayers to being a venue for the American Red Cross Society, the place has become the abodes of God. Visit the place and know the various social activities the church indulges in.

Quote Originally Posted by SJ.Jet View Post
    This is off the current topic but I was reading back in the earlier postings and I have 2 bars for the bar game.

Kelly Bar, which used to be on Kelly [[of course) between Woodland and Old Homestead. Around 1973 or so, it was turned into an arcade, which I frequented since it was close to my house.

The other bar is Lucky Lou's. I think it was on Morang, east of Kelly. My dad used to go there beginning in the 70's so it might have been called something else before that. In fact, he was in there one night when it was robbed. They made everyone lie on the floor and took everyone's wallets, which my dad thought was hilarious cuz he always kept his money in his front pants pocket and he had no credit cards!! But they did take his leather jacket and took his car as their getaway car. But they ditched it a couple blocks away so he got it back.

Thought of one more, also from the 70's or 80's, Stan & Ollie's. On Kelly between Roscommon and Woodside.
    Kelly Bar turned into The Flying Machine, which turned into what is now CVS. There was an arcade next to the bar, which, in later years, housed Andys Party Store. I believe the real naame was Kelly Rd. Party Time.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Boy, I didn't think they had a chance in this one especially after the rain delay. This Avila kid's a keeper too. I know how Leyland is with his loyalty to players, but I don't see how he can keep playing Laird until this kid cools off.

Great win heading to the coast!
    I agree. Avila is a rookie and the league hasn't figured him out yet. He can hit with power and is a good contact hitter. Maybe Leyland should platoon those guys. Laird is a good defensive catcher. I thought Grandy would have been a good pinch runner for Carlos today although it didn't matter. In a pennant race where the Tigers are struggling for runs, Leyland needs to manage like a NL manager. ....switch up the batting line up, hit and run, key steals, what ever, A team is not going to go very far if its ace pitcher is getting double digit strike outs and yet doesn't get the W. It was indeed a good win today. Hopefully, the momentum will continue in Oakland and Aniheim. I'm sure all our St. Jude compratriots agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsomyak View Post
    Which begs the question, how many white shirts were ruined by those damn leaky fountain pens?
    If only it wasn't so much fun to keep taking them apart. I guess we were blessed to have the cartidge pens. Those holes in our hinged desks used to hold open ink bottles. I wonder what year that changed over. Ink fights must have been a lot more fun back then.

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    I used to live on Nottingham near Morang but I never knew where the actual air raid siren[[s) were. I sure heard them though - every first Saturday of the month at 1 p.m. like clockwork, and I'm sure there was more than one of them going from the way it sounded.
    The sirens still sound every first Saturday of the month at 1 p.m. like clockwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    Z - I can actually visualize the look at Chris Mette's face as the "alarm" went off! KR, I'm guessing your fire alarm was ours too, since we were at Faircrest b/t Rex and Redmond?
    I guess that's why we never actually pulled these things on a lark. In addition to the threat of parental punishment / jail time, the potential was there for lifetime public humiliation.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    I guess that's why we never actually pulled these things on a lark. In addition to the threat of parental punishment / jail time, the potential was there for lifetime public humiliation.
    I'm sure pants wetting for the puller wasn't unheard of

I agree JC - The punishment certainly wouldn't have been worth the dare.

Oh, and on another note - Yes, St. Jude Parish is still a beacon of brightness in the old neighborhood. I wish someone would express an interest AND cash into turning the school into a daycare center, or ANYTHING - but so far, we just have to keep it safe and secure. Not an inexpensive project. Our food pantry is incredible - feeding so many in the neighborhood - we certainly hope to continue both our Parish and our Pantry indefinitely!

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I'm sure pants wetting for the puller wasn't unheard of
    I'd rather serve the jail time.

Speaking of which, is that $25 reward offer still sitting on the table? If so, one could set up a network of webcams in high false alarm areas, and retire off that cash cow.

Speaking of the parish, are you getting any more dinners or festivals ready to go?

[quote=zitro;57740]Believe it or not I think the Whiitter firehouse serviced the enire parish. Mkap can confirm. I believe the next closest one was on Manastique and E.Warren.

I believe Z is correct in saying that Engine 58 @ Whittier and Lakepointe was our closest fire station. I believe if they were busy or if we needed a ladder truck, Engine 50 and Ladder 23 from Houston-Whittier and Gration were dispatched.

Anybody remeber Mark Clark? I believe I remember him setting fire to his upstairs playing w/ matches.

JC and 7K - I remember a young lad who actually pulled a fire box and lived to tell about it.
    The story goes: This dumb bunny climbed on his friend Jimmie's back when they were both about six years old. He pulled the fire alarm because Jimmy said that the fire department would not respond. Five minutes later, it was said, the engine, and ladder truck were heard, quickly approaching. The two young lads hid in jimmie's bushes in front of the house till the coast was clear.
    The lad, who actually pulled the box, was confronted by his father who happened to be a fireman. After thinking on it for a quick moment, the young man told his father the truth. Expecting to be punished severely, having already known that pulling the box was a no-no, he was relieved that his father only told him that the box was for emergencies only, and by sending the fire department on a wild goose chase could cause someone in real need to not have the service they deserve. Boy was I...... Aahhhh!, he relieved.

Thanks Dad.

It's amazing how much confessin' goes on in this thread.

MKap - who would have thought you'd do such a thing? Now the "fess up" part, I believe!
    We have a couple of dinners on the horizon - we wanted a summer ending dinner and will probably do a sloppy joe dinner on the 12th of September. Our next real bash will be the Octoberfect during the St. Jude Novena - on October 24th. Dates are still tentative - but we never stay still for long. The Parish Picnic was in August at Johnson Park and the Parish Block Party was on the grounds in July, so we're trying to keep with the one event per month schedule.
    Will keep you all posted on definite dates/times!

It's amazing how much confessin' goes on in this thread.

It's all due to the statute of limitations.

[quote=Campfire Girl;58635]MKap - who would have thought you'd do such a thing?

CFG - Jimmy double dared me. Any kid worth his salt never let a double dare slide by. Word would get around you were soft.

Drove by the old SJCU building on 7 mile today. It's for sale.

[quote=Mkap;58642]
    MKap - who would have thought you'd do such a thing?

CFG - Jimmy double dared me. Any kid worth his salt never let a double dare slide by. Word would get around you were soft.

Drove by the old SJCU building on 7 mile today. It's for sale.

You got that right Mkap you could never back down from a double dare.

Does the parish still own the building and propety?

If only it wasn't so much fun to keep taking them apart. I guess we were blessed to have the cartidge pens. Those holes in our hinged desks used to hold open ink bottles. I wonder what year that changed over. Ink fights must have been a lot more fun back then.
    EB, some insight into this inquiry would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    It's all due to the statute of limitations.
    or in the case of St. Jude... the statue of limitations

MKap - who would have thought you'd do such a thing? Now the "fess up" part, I believe!
    We have a couple of dinners on the horizon - we wanted a summer ending dinner and will probably do a sloppy joe dinner on the 12th of September. Our next real bash will be the Octoberfect during the St. Jude Novena - on October 24th. Dates are still tentative - but we never stay still for long. The Parish Picnic was in August at Johnson Park and the Parish Block Party was on the grounds in July, so we're trying to keep with the one event per month schedule.
    Will keep you all posted on definite dates/times!
    Great CFG. It would be nice to get our posters together [[yes even our out-of-towners) on such a grand occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Speaking of the parish, are you getting any more dinners or festivals ready to go?
    JC - Don't know about you, but I'm still waiting for that "special recipe" from the last time we broke bread.

How bout' it CFG, feel like sharing yet? If not just have us over for a second helping.

I won't say what it was cause' Z will just get frustrated again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkap View Post
    JC - Don't know about you, but I'm still waiting for that "special recipe" from the last time we broke bread.

How bout' it CFG, feel like sharing yet? If not just have us over for a second helping.

I won't say what it was cause' Z will just get frustrated again.

Thanks Mkap no Polish food discussion please

Page 84 of 263 FirstFirst ... 34 74 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 94 134 184 ... LastLast