Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
A good start to putting out a good product would be actual spelling and grammar checking, and I do not mean merely hitting F7 on the keyboard. Does anyone proofread anymore?

I read both papers, almost cover to cover, every day and every day I see countless grammar and spelling errors that a fourth grader would know not to make.

I also read stories that are not at all cohesive. Also, I often see quotes from people who are not identified in the article, such as "... and Johnson said ...." But nowhere beforehand does the article identify who "Johnson" is.

Reporters today have gotten very lazy and that does not apply strictly to print media.
It's not reporters, it's the lack of copy editors. Those jobs have been slashed by the hundreds over the course of the past 10 year.

Yes, we reporters make mistakes. We are human and it's normal. But the workload we have now is insane. That's not to excuse the mistakes, because we don't like making them, but you have to understand that there are less of us now to catch those mistakes.

It's not lazy, it's overworked.

But I get what you are saying.

Investing in papers means the ability to hire more and to lessen the workload.