Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 150 of 432 FirstFirst ... 50 100 140 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 160 200 250 ... LastLast
Results 3,726 to 3,750 of 10776

Thread: Garwood Mansion

I don't know how much more DK knows, but I'd love to hear anything he can offer. I didn't call him to meet up last night because I got in to A2 so late, planning to meet friends for an opening. DK speaks to Theresa who, I believe, was doing the Salsa Dance Nights at the Firefly. I seem only to talk to Jose [[Theresa's significant other?) who does the Salsa Music Nights at Cafe Habana.

DK, 1kd......anybody see this coming? Aside from previous posts, any Monday morning quarterbacking? This IS a significant loss.

AN FYI.....Ft CAMPBELL is planning an "Official Homecoming Party" for Viet Nam Vets.....complete with Politicians, Army Brass, Country Star Wanna bees, Trinket and Plaques, speeches...and topped off withe 10 gallons of BULL SHIT....way to little way to late.......as guilt lurks in the feeble mind of promoters seeking self recognition...But if you're into that....they did a big party this weekend for current vets with really big name acts, a two day event....we get a no name band for a couple hours, on a Sunday afternoon,....but who knows...it may be cool ...still being planned ......

The last time I was at Ft Campbell, KY, I got totally bald! Saw a guy drink a can of Brasso...straight up-no ice. They pumped his stomach and said "Nice try, GI".

Stonefront is available.

I'll never forget the first day of Woodstock. I was in jail. I had an open invitation to go but didn't get out of the slammer until after my ride had left. 12 people in a VW van. They made it as far as Ohio and the engine blew up. Can't imagine why. I don't remember if any of them made it or not.

To be honest about it, I hadn't really made up my mind if I wanted to go or not. If you think about it, before Woodstock, it was kind of an unknown thing. I wasn't sure if I wanted to travel all the way to upstate N.Y. to see a bunch of bands that I could see close to home. I was reasonably hip, but I guess I just didn't get it. After seeing film clips on the news during the following days........ well, I felt kind of stupid. I did go to a lot of outdoor music festivals after that.

Hey, as far as Les Paul, let's not forget some of the other facts. His mother was related to the founders of the Blatz Brewery! He was also Steve Millers godfather and gave him his first guitar lesson.

Speaking of guitars, there's a new movie just out, "It Might Get Loud." I think it's just going to be in limited theaters, but it looks good. Jimmy Page, The Edge and Jack White, documentary style about guitars. Here's a trailer. I saw a longer story about it and was impressed.

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3465413145/

Oh yeah, there are a couple other trailers of the same movie that come up on the screen that are also good. #2 of 5, #4 of 5 and #5 of 5. That's all I got.

Ola Lovers of life and good things ...Just a brief segway away from Susan...no disrespect intended, We would love to meet up with everyone to see "It's gonna get loud" can we plan it ?????????
    Anyway I still have not read the forum since I fell off the planet three weeks ago...our computer is dial up slow..I will get up to speed asap.
    Gash & Stone...your comments humble me so...I love you guys.
    Markley went back up north and who could blame him!
    Ruthie I love you, Jeep we still have to talk about drums!
    Heidi,xox...Gotta go on a bike ride with my little Angel...be back soon xoxoxox
    Oh BTW I haven't painted my piano yet but I am playing it everyday
    Attachment 2722
    Last edited by Margie; October-14-09 at 10:09 AM.

Margie.......reality does have a distortion pedal. BushMark has a whole warehouse full of them. Markley has a couple stashed out at his takeoff/landing site, too. He's mastered a trick where he does a reverse distortion maneuver that makes things become focused, even if it's only for a nano-second.

POINT IN CASE:
    Attachment 2723
    See what I mean?
    Last edited by stnfrnt; April-17-10 at 08:13 PM.

Hey sports fans...if somebody could show the Lions receivers how to catch a ball, they might not have to rely on a kicker to give them a 1 point victory. The new QB did okay in spite of all the butterfingers.

Hey Gleeman.......can you believe this?

Mooning US surveillance today

Ont. residents expected to moon U.S. surveillance balloon

Canwest News Service August 15, 2009 10:01 A

Police officers look at naked protesters. [[File photo)

Photograph by: Pierre Obendrauf, The Gazette

SARNIA, Ont. -- An anticipated 1,500 people were expected to drop their drawers Saturday and give a balloon with a surveillance camera trolling the Canada-U.S. border a piece of their derriere.

Adam Bush of Sarnia, Ont., the creator of a Facebook group called "Moon the Balloon" said as many as double that number of protesters have signed up on the social networking site.

The group is protesting the 15-metre long Aerostat balloon which has a high-tech camera with the capability of identifying the name on a ship 12 to 15 kilometres out in Lake Huron.

The camera was set up last week just across the St. Clair River in Port Huron, Mich., aimed at the border in Sarnia.

The Sierra Nevada Corp., the company that owns the balloon, is testing the technology that could eventually be used by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

Protest organizer Eli Martin, who does not want to reveal his last name, said he wants to make it clear to the U.S. that Sarnia residents do not like being watched.

"What started as an idea over a couple of beers has gained the interest of the international media," he said.

The ex-teacher turned musician said he doesn't expect everyone who attends the protest to bare their buttocks but said the message is the same.

The group was meeting at 5 p.m. Saturday at Sarnia Centennial Park, stand in line, pull down their pants and moon Michigan.

Organizers said there was a possibility the group may make it into the Guinness Book of World Records for the largest mass mooning. They believe that record was set when 2,000 people mooned in protest of former U.S. President George Bush visit to Australia in 2007.F

Sarnia Mayor Mike Bradley said he also has written to Prime Minister Stephen Harper about his concerns regarding the tethered balloon. He was not planning on attending the event.

Sarnia is 100 kilometres northeast of Detroit.

Larry that's alot of rectal inspection , hope the border is safe and the camera, ballon don't explode.
    May our princess Kendra go to bat and hit a million and get on with a beautiful life soon.
    OG I was remembering wood stock I went that summer to work at Lake Tahoe and had some san fran: gold gate concerts that was 40 years ago so much has flew by.
    Hope Heidi and Gus are making the rounds pay off all summer, Candy and Penny in your new home wonderfull
    Hoover just hurry up and get better ya? Trump misses ya.Ruth check out City Museum in St Louis a fab photo all open on the cover of july-august AAA traveler Midwest issue a wurlitzer 1924 Pipe Organ.lol Rona

Hey Rona baby.........how're things in paradise today. Right on with your Kendra message. Say, when you worked in Tahoe, did you know a gal by the name of Peggy Ahearn? She was a blackjack dealer there somewhere. Then she moved to Hawaii, like you did. She's in Redondo Beach, now. Gash and I are both madly in love with her. She's from Dearborn. She always asks how Gash is doing back in Tennessee. I told her he died.

I don't know about you, but I'd keep those "Wooders" moored out in deeper water. Looks like their hulls could get ground up by wave/wind action.

This ain't bad at all.

riverwyeproductions.com

Woodstock Nation Spirit Rocks On, despite all the crap thrown at it. Peace.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I was at Cafe Habana Thursday night and heard from some of the salsa dancers who were there [[who had tried to go to the Firefly for its own Thursday latin jazz night) that the Firefly appeared to have been shut down by the State that day. The DJ at Habana who also had been DJ'ing regularly for the Wed Firefly salsa night, said it was open Wed, and he didn't know what the cause of the sudden closure was. Owing to Margie's post we now know the reason. Its unfortunate because the Thurs event at Firefly was free - which shows the generosity and community spirit of its owner - but I suppose it also shows that its hard to run a club on community spirit alone. Customers have to be willing to spend some money when they go out to support the clubs and unfortunately there's not so much money circulating in Michigan's economy right now. I agree with Kiel that the closure of Shaman Drum was a real shocker. I didn't go to Woodstock - I was drafted that year and reported for duty on May 12th. I probably wouldn't have gone anyway as I was still dressing in suits for the most part and spending most of my time in the poolroom. [[I was a late adapter of the new age.) My Viet tour Jan-Dec 70 evidently overlapped with Gash's. I can't claim to have suffered much - stationed in a Saigon hotel the whole year - out to the clubs 3 or 4 nights a week spending most of my $288/mo on "Saigon Teas" for the girls, along with heavy use of the commercially packaged MJ, 19 joints to a pack, manufactured at the Park Lane "cigarette" factory in Saigon, and which could be readily bought for a few dollars from any of the many cigarette women lining the major downtown streets. I was never in a fire fight [[much respect to those who were), but I was once attacked there by a group of small children [[6 or so) who seemed to be trying to rifle my pockets in a very agressive way while I was walking downtown Saigon one Sunday morning. I actually had to kick one of the little girls away to keep from falling [[yes, I almost got taken down by a gang of small children). I don't treat women that way now - usually its me that gets kicked around. But, I keep coming back for more, hey hey!

Quit bitching and start a revelation.

Or start a "RevolUtion", which ever makes your riki tiki or your wiggle waggle......

Great to hear from you Sug....been a while....hope all is well in your part of the world......looks like we both might be in for some lousy weather in our near future...Try to stay dry....

DK...bummer about all the clubs closing .....what are you going to do with yourself now that all these Salsa, etc. clubs are shutting down.....you could always GO COUNTRY.....

Well I'm headed down to a buddy's house to eat a big ol slab of ribs he just stopped by to show me, and raid my garden...."good eats tonight"............later and of course.......GDGT

DK, great story! You should be a regular poster/entertainer here much like Stone and OG. Don't hesitate to relate more stories about your service. I certainly look forward to them.

So now you've got DK's piece of the Firefly story and my bits and pieces. There's an article in today's AnnArbor.com. It doesn't add much except plans for a rescue effort. I'll post anything I hear as it comes in. Part of Susan's problems arose from her move to the south end of downtown. I'm not criticizing her for it. Only she knows the full story leading to the move. When downtown [[a stone's throw from the Fleetwood) she had a huge, walk-by, crowd. The facility she's at [[the old Ark, which is a non-profit organization with a sustaining membership) is a much better facility in a much less desirable location, and almost no walk-by traffic. Viewing her business problems in retrospect, she probably decided to go for it because downtown A2 is so expensive. A necessity for a business like the Firefly is regulars. Regular drinkers and diners. Especially in A2. One reason Baker's Keyboard has survived [[though it may not much longer) was because the owners who took over the last time, built a good, neighborhood business of regulars. I used to have people walk in to my place at midnight, when I was jamming. They'd say; 'you have a gold mine'. They were seldom ever around at noon or 8P. Anyway, a bar business, particularly an entertainment venue, has to cover costs in manners other than shows. Shows are seldom lucrative, in the long run, unless you're in a place like Nashville, Austin or N'awlins, where bars go around the clock and are fed by tourists. A2 is not quite that type of a tourist town. She also had difficulty in her downtown location, due to size limitations and other factors, producing a quality menu of food. Prior to her ownership, when Ron Brooks owned the Bird of Paradise at that location, he arranged other restaurants to provide food. At one point in it's early incarnation, The Bird of Paradise had Red Hot Lovers supply food and it became known as The Bird and Red Hot Lover's in Paradise. It lasted a few years. That's a difficult partnership. R.J.Spangler put a band together for my bar. It lasted a few weeks or months at best, because I couldn't re-coup the costs of paying a band, as good and well liked as they were. Shaman Drum explored the idea of becoming a non-profit, but finally decided against it. Susan might try that route. The facility could be rented out for parties [[much like our reunion), dance recitals, rehearsals, recordings, etc. She's likely tried, or will be trying, all of these ideas, plus more, if she can arrange payment with the state.

Thanks Kielson. As a matter of fact, Gash, I once went to a weekend music festival somewhere in middle Michigan where I saw a lot of bluegrass, including Del McCoury [[Mr. High and Lonsome), and I've been in love with bluegrass eversince. Something about those modal or pentatonic [[if that's the right word) melodies brought over from Ireland and Scotland. I do lilke salsa music quite a bit, but I listen to everything - mostly classical, but also jazz, world, pop, rock, etc. - a little bit of everything. I have a online subscription to Rhapsody [[6 million tracks and continually growing) and a audio copying program [[Replay Radio - $49) which allows me to record any audio stream on my computer. The program also separates the tracks and labels them automatically. That's why I have 18,000 mp3 tracks on my IPod [[don't tell anyone). Salsa of course has the added feature of drawing a dance crowd, and I'm not averse to teaching young ladies the basics of salsa dancing if they need me [[heh, heh).

DK......ditto what 1kd said. When I was in Nam, pulling duty in a hotel in Saigon was no guarantee that you wouldn't get your ass blown all over "2-Doe" street. Those little f#!king bleeps got all the way down into Saigon during the Feb 68 Tet Offensive; set up a f@#$ing field hospital right in the middle of the racetrack in Cholon. We [[199th Inf Bde) had to go down there and kick 'em out. They weren't paying their rent. They didn't want to leave. It was bad. I was there 9/67-9/68.

People might not understand what your talking about concerning the "Park Lane" cigarette factory. I thought being able to buy a pack of doobies just like a pack of cigarettes was nifty. They would take an American cigarette, dump out the tobacco, and stuff the empty paper w/filter full of pot. Made them look like a real pack of cigarettes so when you walked by an MP, you were "getting over" on him, except for Markley and his gang of thieves. Those guys had more dope than anybody; they were cops.

"out to the clubs 3 or 4 nights a week spending most of my $288/mo on "Saigon Teas" for the girls, along with heavy use of the commercially packaged MJ, 19 joints to a pack, manufactured at the Park Lane "cigarette" factory in Saigon"

SAIGON MEMORIES?
    Attachment 2737
    Photo taken from Markley Military Archives 1969-70. Absoletely no rights reserved. None. Zero. Zip. Nada.
    Last edited by stnfrnt; November-22-09 at 10:08 PM.

So, you knew Cholon. That was the so-called Chinese section of Saigon. The bars were considerably cheaper there than they were on Tu-Do street. What else did you do while you were there Stnfrnt???

DK...sorry to interupt trip down memory lane or TuDo...what ever......you might want to check out a lady I've been listening to for a little while..."Dale Ann Bradley"....she looks a lot like this lady in England that almost won the Talent thing there....any way she does blue grass like no one else.....if you can imagine Fleetwood Mac, U-2, Gordon Lightfoot and many others....tunes done blue grass...awsome...Plus traditional BG.....worth the effort...let me know....you other folks can check her out also...it's O.K. .............later

I killed a little, shot dope, smoked dope, played a little music, went home. Nothin' to it. Everybody was doing it. Well..........................................you know.
    Last edited by stnfrnt; August-16-09 at 06:39 PM.

I just downloaded 25 Dale Bradley tracks. I'm listening to "Send The Angels Down" right now. Nice voice, definitely Bluegrass; does Dale plaly an instrument or just sing?

Just one last thing on Cholon; I once talked to a Vietnamese Blackjack dealer across the river in Windsor and he said he was from Cholon. I told him I knew his neighborhood, but I don't think he believed me - after all its about 9,000 miles and 40 years away! Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the massage parlors that you neglected to mention, Stnfrnt.