Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by 65memories View Post
    Contrary to the haters, WSU never hit rock bottom. It is a class university...
    What is a "class" university?

In any event, it was the worst performing public university in the state [[it may still be one of the worst), had amongst the worst African American graduating rates in the country and was amongst the worst performing major public universities in the country. If that's not rock bottom, I'd love to see what is.

It has nothing to do with being "haters," just stating facts. Being a collegiate-level instructor, I would think you of all people would be open to and accepting of such facts [[even if you dislike them) and wouldn't diminish yourself to responding with such juvenile language that's apparently only fitting for one within their capacity as President of the United States in 2018 when presented with said facts.
    Last edited by 313WX; December-25-18 at 10:27 AM.

WSU is in an untenable position. When I was attending in the 90's, there was a strong push to get them to admin more kids from the Detroit Public School system. The issue was most, though having good grades in High School, did not have the ACT or SAT scores for admission.

So WSU started a program to admit more DPS students and get them into remedial classes so they could continue with their college program. This didn't work out quite as they would have hoped.

So then they were attacked for allowing poor performing kids in and scamming them out of their money.

The issue is *still* the Detroit Public School system. They are graduating kids who aren't even close to being ready for college.

I know someone involved with an internship program for seniors from one of the DPS technology magnet schools. These were the highest performing students admitted into a special technology-centric program. Out of the couple of dozen students in the internship program, a handful showed *basic* aptitude in writing and math. I'm talking about sending simple emails [[meeting invitations, notices, etc..) and tallying up numbers. Some of the kids were on the ball, motivated, and clearly destined for college. Most were not. If this is the best the DPS can achieve, the entire system needs radical change.