Quote Originally Posted by Colombian Dan View Post
This thread dovetails nicely into why Detroit lacks things...The culture simply does not support modern technology. Numbers vary a bit.. but a very large portion of Detroit residents do not have an internet connection. Attending school on a daily basis is a foreign idea to half the population. Households led by single women with multiple children from different absentee fathers doesn't advance the technology gap. Municipal theft of power lines, light poles, construction equipment is rife in Detroit. Adding more "gadgets" to existing light poles will only incentivize more people to cut down light poles. Detroit will be last to receive 5G. Duggan may be competent, but the people he leads are of a completely different caliber....
I share your concerns about Detroit, but not your pessimism about our citizens.

Yes, all of what you say is true about some of Detroit. I believe that there are a large, quiet population as well of people living here in every neighborhood who 'get it'. We can succeed by focusing less on the loud malcontents who are marginalizing our citizens, and more on the great residents of our city who are open to change.

Duggan's election shows that it is possible for a technocrat to get elected. I hope all of Detroit's leaders can now see just what great things are possible when you focus on competence and not on divisive identity politics.

Here's an idea...

Take all the money the City spends on the office of Human Rights, and spend it all subsidizing cellphone and data service for anyone who has lived in Detroit for more than 10 years. That'll help human rights much more.