"So no acknowledgement then that ghettos, historically, exist almost always due to government-sanctioned [[or even government-enforced) public policy designed to segregate one group from another, aside from the social and economic factors that also restrict the mobility of maligned minority groups?"

If that logic is followed it must have been a government sanctioned and enforced public policy that so many Arab immigrants live in Dearborn.

"Black Bottom wasn't a slum either, it was a thriving neighborhood until the government destroyed it by building a freeway through it [[and demolishing everything in the path of that freeway). Funny how you didn't use that example though, you went with an example that had white people in it."

Of course it had white people in it; they were my grandparents. When they arrived on the scene Americans then were just like Americans now: "What are those foreigners doing here? They're probably gonna take my job for less pay and put me out in the street. You can't trust them immigrants, anyhow. They can't even speak the American language."

Those immigrants lived in the same neighborhood because they were familiar with each other and they learned the acceptable "American" language together. They looked out for one another and took care of one another. Hardly any of them owned the house they lived in. They were renters, but that didn't stop them from taking care to maintain the property and keep it clean and presentable to anyone who happened to stray through the neighborhood from some other part of town.