Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

You're all class.

Here's how not to help the bicyclists cause:

Melee of cyclists leads to four arrests

OGDEN, UT -- Was it a friendly group bicycle ride through downtown Ogden or a confrontational melee that included obstructing traffic, assault, obscenities and alcohol?
    Depends on who you talk to.......
    [read the rest]

Detroit motorists obey all traffic laws at all times.

I can't believe you friggen idiots are actually advocating for bicyclists to not follow the rules of the road. They are in place to keep everyone safe. Yes you can use the road but follow the rules. To those that do this is not directed at you.

if automobile drivers want to blow threw traffic lights like me on my bike, then they should get a bike.
    I hope you know that traffic light that you are blowing is there to keep you safe.

From http://biketriallawyer.com/bicycle-l...-michigan.html I know its an ambulance chasers site but it was the one I found which best lays out the rules.

THE RULES OF THE ROAD FOR MICHIGAN CYCLISTS
    1. The traffic laws that apply to a driver of a vehicle also apply to cyclists, except where the laws by their nature can have no application to cyclists. This means cyclists have the same rights and duties as motorists.
    2. If traveling below the normal speed of traffic, a cyclist must ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the road, except:
      1. <LI class=style1>When passing another bike or vehicle. <LI class=style1>When preparing for a left turn. <LI class=style1>When conditions make the right hand edge of the road unsafe or unusable for bicycles [[e.g. pedestrians, animals, debris, open drains). <LI class=style1>If the lane is too narrow to allow a car to safely pass a bicycle.
      2. When cycling in a lane where traffic turns right, but the cyclist intends to continue straight.
    3. If on a one way road, a cyclist may ride as close as practicable and safe to the left-hand curb or edge of the road.
    4. Cyclists may ride no more than 2 abreast, except on paths or roads used exclusively for bikes.
    5. Cyclists may not carry anything that prevents the use of both hands to control the bike.
    6. Cyclists may not attach their bikes or themselves to a streetcar or vehicle.
    7. When ridden at night, a bike must have a lamp on the front which emits white light visible from at least 500 feet and a red reflector on the rear visible from 100 to 600 feet. A red lamp in the rear may be used in addition to a reflector.
    8. All bikes must have a brake which can make the braked wheels skid on dry, level, clean pavement.
    9. A bicycle can only be occupied and/or ridden by the number of people the bike is designed to accommodate [[i.e. one person per seat).
    10. A cyclist operating a bicycle on a sidewalk or pedestrian crosswalk has all the rights and duties of a pedestrian, shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians, and shall give an audible signal before passing a pedestrian.
    11. A parent or guardian of a child can not knowingly permit a child to violate the law.
    12. An injured cyclist who is a Michigan resident or a resident of a state other than Michigan, who is injured by an automobile in Michigan, may be entitled to Michigan No-Fault Benefits. These benefits include:
      1. <LI class=style1>Medical expenses, including bills for treatment and therapy, mileage to and from medical and therapy appointments, home care, medical equipment, and home modifications. This is a benefit that is available for life.
      2. Wage loss at 85% of gross pay [[up to a monthly maximum that is adjusted annually), for up to three years from the date of the injury.
      3. Replacement services, which are essentially household services a person would have performed for themselves, if not for their injury

So, let's all come up with examples of a bicyclist who has disobeyed the rules of the road and then condemn all of them for it. And our condemnation will include cutting them off, driving too close to them, throwing things at them, yelling at them to get on the sidewalk... and other stupid things.

That sorta seems to be where things were headed. "Since one cyclist cut me off several years ago, that gives me the right to ..." blah-blah-blah.

blksoul_x Guest

Quote Originally Posted by choquant View Post
    You are most likely trying to stir up trouble again with stupid vitriolic comments, but what exactly told you that they were suburban, or did you merely engage in stereotyping?
    Perhaps my response is due to the fact they stated, they are from the suburbs, and that they never had a problem securing their bikes in most sub-urban eateries that they frequent. Not to mentioned they stated that 'we know how things come up missing in this city'__go figure!

The mirror is a great thing!

blksoul_atcha!
    The BJL, the color you love to hate!

I see a lot of "Critical Mass" rides...but the cyclists in Seattle who pretend they're in a car really take it too far...

http://www.the-signal.com/news/article/16165/
    http://www.tucsoncitizen.info/daily/...ews/104037.php

diver1369 Guest

gumby, thanks for the info regarding the rights and responsibilities of cyclists and pedestrians. I was looking for the same info on my city's web site but couldn't. It supports my thinking that pedestrians have the right of way while on sidewalks with cyclists. give my best to pokey.

When I'm on the sidewalk, I always slow down, and sometimes even stop, when passing a pedestrian. Usually I get a nice smile, but sometimes I still manage to startle people. Then again, maybe they swear at everybody they encounter?

Sludgedaddy Guest

If you want to throw things, kids, throw various objects at unfunny boring disc-jockeys on a radio station that plays the same boring 'dead hippie" music ad infinitum.

If I hear Led Zepplin or "Benny and the Jets" by Elton John or Foriegner again, I got a paved in Detroit Nelsonville Block ready to be aimed at a radio studio window!

Where are the "Air Aces" now that we really need them?
    I would even excuse the vinyl albums sailing dangerously from the David Stott Building!

Sludgedaddy Guest

Diver, Old Bean, thanks for your little anecdote concerning your encounter with an extremely rude bicyclist. It seemed that your cooler head prevailed.

Had that happened to me while driving and listening to Merle Haggard's "Fighting Side of Me" on my eight track,. I would have gotten, to quote The Weekly World News' Ed Anger "Pig Bitin' Mad". Ala "Johnny Pissoff, I would have stuck my Jimi Hendrix autograph model bong into his spokes while his bicycle was in motion.

gravitymachine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    It is time that the message be made clear that both bicyclist and motorists are treated equally and action taken to accommodate both parties on their use of the road.
    i don't want to out him, but someone who's posted already spends a good chunk of his time, proffesionally, doing just that

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    au contraire mon fraire- I, and another motorist, were the victim of a bicyclist.
    To clarify, I'm defining a victim as someone who has suffered personal injuries or killed -- not someone whose car is scratched. Besides, more cars are damaged by motorists than by bicyclists.

All groups include some jerks. There is no exception for bicycle riders.

On the other hand, there is a fundamental inequality of power between drivers and bicycle riders, which does tend to keep bicyclists relatively subdued. There are a lot of riders who don't ride safely, in my opinion. On the other hand, I'm sure some people probably think I don't ride safely, at least not always.

Another difference between [[adult) bicyclists and drivers, is that the bicyclists almost all drive, and have some idea of what driving is like. Lots of drivers have never cycled in traffic, and do really dangerous stuff like overtaking to make a right turn without being aware of the hazard.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same crowd that harbors such resentment towards cyclists are the same people that yell "Run Forrest, Run!" when I'm out running.

Damage Control: http://dd.wcsx.com/?p=4324

No one in the neighborhood rides their bike with the flow of traffic anymore. My favorite are the guys who stop [[on the wrong side of the road, of course), even though they have a green light, and look at all the waiting cars, and the minute the light turns green for the waiting traffic, they take off across the intersection, and everyone has to wait.

You mean to tell me people actually listen to CSX?
    Let's see, unfunny, uninteresting DJ's, unimaginative outdated playslists,
    and too many commercials.
    Maybe this stunt was planned to get the station some much needed publicity.
    It won't work for me. Sadly, this is the current state of Detroit radio.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Another difference between [[adult) bicyclists and drivers, is that the bicyclists almost all drive, and have some idea of what driving is like. Lots of drivers have never cycled in traffic, and do really dangerous stuff like overtaking to make a right turn without being aware of the hazard.
    That's a great point!

And in a similar vein, road designers have plenty of driving experience but rarely have much cycling experience. To address this, MDOT is bringing one of the world's top traffic engineers to Michigan. He gives a presentation on road designs for safer cycling and leads a bike ride to point out the good and the bad. After a little bit of lobbying, we got a stop in Detroit next month.

Thanks Gumby for the rules!

I never noticed number 8 before. I never did like Fixed Gear Bicycles.

Quote Originally Posted by trimess
    First off, sounds like these guys are still living in the 80's. This is a prime example of lack of progressiveness in Michigan [[maybe that's why your state is dying?) [[no offense to you guys who live there).

Secondly. I dissagree with the whole "We must follow the rules at all times". We need to lobby to get the rules changed. Those rule were written for cars. As we all know a bicycle is VERY different from an automobile. Bike vs. Car collisions, 10 times out of 10 the Car wins. A cyclist blows a stop sign, and a car hits it, the car wins. Cyclists can really only do damage to themselves. Portland and Idaho have already passed "stop as Yield" laws, where cyclists only have to treat stop signs as yield signs [[idaho even went as far as to pass a law where bikes can treat a red light like a stop sign, we've all been there, waiting at the light that will never change because you can't trigger the sensor). I think this is a very valid change. A bike is most times moving slower into an intersection than a car. A bike takes more effort [[or any effort) to get back up to speed. A bike can make better evasive maneuvers to miss collisions due to it's light weight and small size.

As for the callers who always show up with the genius argument of "Bikes don't have licenses and pay taxes", How many people do you know that ride that don't own at least one car, not to mention the sales, income, and property taxes that also pay for roadways [[which cars are much more likely to do damage requiring repairs to).

Also, the reason you have insurance is to pay for someone else's car if you hit them [[at least the cheap policies). We have already been over the fact that it is pretty hard for a bike to really damage a car [[although, I once cracked a windshield with my head!).
    http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.c...450151#2450151

I like the "Stop Sign as Yield" and "Red Light as Stop Sign" for bicycles. Thats how I ride. How can this be made into Michigan Law? We should also define what the penalty/fine is for riding on the wrong side of the road, on a sidewalk or at night without lights. Laws and regulations are pretty useless if you never enforcement then.

here's an erudite summary of their playlist, jefferson78;

[img=http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/8017/pirateshirt3.jpg]

Also, why is WCSX running a motorcycle promotion, when bikers get the same problems as bicyclists do from "cagers" a thousandfold?;
    http://wcsx.com/riders/default1.asp

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast