2018 predictions:
1- Despite previous promises, no redevelopment work actually happens at the United Artists Building or Hotel Fort Wayne.
2- Work does finally begin on rehabbing the Eddystone, but only after a “deal” is reached where Olympia gets to tear down the structures between Henry and I-75 [[west of Cass) to create more “lanscaped” surface lots.
3- Detroit is one of a several Amazon finalists, but ultimately is not selected.
4- Ford Field is awarded a NCAA Final Four to be played between 2022-2025.
5- The Hudson Block progresses forward, but the Monroe Block project is delayed, with the stated reason of working out what to do with the National Theatre Building.
6- The decision is finally made to remove l I-375 in favor of a surface boulevard, to be built in like 2022 or something. MDOT also finally agrees to redo that goofy I-75 interchange by Eastern Market as part of the same project.
7-MLS passes on Detroit in January for Cincinnati, but Detroit rebids in 2018 and is ultimately selected in the next round [[this selection may occur in 2019, but the bid is submitted in 2018).
8- MSU Men’s basketball wins a NCAA title, becoming the bright spot in the sporting landscape, as the Pistons get bounced early in the playoffs, and Wings and Tigers miss the playoffs entirely.
9- Whitmer is elected governor, and the Republicans push some major lame duck legislaton through at years end before a Democrat takes over. This includes a modest state income tax cut, and laws to eliminate pensions and switch to 401k for teachers, municipal employees, and police/fire departments.
10- An Apple store finally opens on Woodward Avenue in time for the holidays, but the Cheesecake Factory remains elusive.