Quote Originally Posted by cmubryan View Post
Am I the only that thinks a "megaplex" is wrong for downtown? I see nothing but dozens of teenagers hanging out causing problems, shootings, etc. This problem has repeated itself over and over again in Metro Detroit [[anyone remember the AMC Southfield City 12?). Sorry to be a "Debbie Downer" but after visiting other downtowns of cities similar in size and demographics, Indianapolis sticks out in my mind right now, I haven't been impressed by the downtown megaplexes or their patrons.

Instead: A few smaller, more intimate theatres spread around downtown. Maybe one for newer releases, one for art films, one for classics, etc. This goes along with the theme that not one large project will rebuild downtown but it takes a series of smaller-scale projects to create the atmosphere we want.
You have a point. However, it's nothing that can't be dealt with. There could be rules that no one under the age of 18 is allowed to enter the theatre unaccompanied [[at the very least within certain times). There could be heightened security with bag checks and/or metal detectors to prevent weapons from being brought into the theatre. I think if done right, incidences could be kept to a minimum.

As to your second point, I agree that several small theatres could work very well, but I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. They represent different business models. I'm especially thinking of concept/boutique cinemas, where there is more emphasis on viewer experience, drinks, food, special events, unique programming and so on.

Here is an NYT article on the proliferation of such cinemas in New York https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/14/f...s.html?mcubz=1)

At any rate, Downtown is growing into an entertainment destination, and there is no reason why cinema can't be part of the equation [[both big and small).