But folks are still buying new cars I suppose....

My basic car insurance zoom up suddenly. I did not notice the jump as it had stayed the same for two years. Then realized I was struggling with payments. What many insurers will conveniently not tell you [[as it requires paperwork) is that they can sometimes 're-write' you for new policy which in some cases can lower the rate.

I opted out for that option cutting my premium by $350. Paying more on the front end of a policy can cut the rate too.

Needed to rent a car recently and found it interesting that agent said he believes no less than 60% of Detroiter's are not insured - ala Driving "Dirty" as it's called. Seems 'bout right seeing as how many hit and runs there are and or folks abandoning, limping away from their smashed cars at accident scene for not having 'paperwork' if the police arrive.

Or that other cheerful option: using someone else's address to apply for insurance. That often blows up wide when you have an accident.

I find the insurance/ car finance note impossible at my income. Don't know how others are managing it. Especially for luxury level cars.