Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

My biggest concern with the new Soo Locks is whether the St. Claire River can handle larger, deeper bottomed boats. I remember a few years ago there were some concerns about the Army Corps of Engineers and weather they dredged too deep there. A miscalculation on dredging depth at this point could negatively lower water levels in Lake Huron and Michigan.

Can our waterways handle these bigger boats without harming water levels in the Great Lakes? If so, build away...

"My biggest concern with the new Soo Locks is whether the St. Claire River can handle larger, deeper bottomed boats."

I believe the new lock is described as a "second Poe Lock," meaning that it is to be the same dimensions as the 1969 lock that allowed 1,000-foot boats. The designers won't be repeating the move that allowed ships to grow bigger, and thereby obsolete all but the newest lock. So the shipping won't be any bigger or deeper. [[Insert Poe Lock joke here.)

Back to the Howe Bridge. I'd feel better about Trump's support for the project if I was sure there will still be any international trade to go over it when it's done. The operators of the bridge at Buffalo are issuing warnings of how much more land will be needed to hold traffic waiting for enhanced security screening of outbound-from-USA traffic, for retina scans of departing visaholders.