Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
Sometimes folks need to revert to common sense.

Five years or 10 years ago the area where LCA is going up, and nearby, was completely dead. Some ugly buildings and a sea of dirt parking lots. This was DESPITE what Gilbert was doing in the CBD.
Five or ten years ago the area where the Brooklyn jail was going up, was completely dead. Some ugly buildings and a sea of parking lots. This was DESPITE all the nearby gentrification in Brooklyn.
Then, on a time line, 'something happened':
Same thing in Brooklyn. "Something happened". All those lots got filled in. I guess it was the jail...
I can't not think of anything else 'big' which happened.
You don't think it's relevant that Metro Detroit went from economic collapse to huge boom?

I would say that's a tad more relevant to the health of the downtown housing market as compared to whether the Red Wings play on the south or north end of downtown.

Other changes include thousands of new downtown jobs, billions in nearby investments, booming stock market, national trend towards urban living, lower crime and stronger city govt. That's what drives urban living, not access to Monster Truck rallies and Britney Spears concerts.

The suburban market is booming too. Properties that you couldn't give away are now going for huge numbers. There are scores of million-dollar properties in my area that were occupied by cheap bungalows 5-10 years ago. Is that due to Pizza Pizza Arena too? I'm right off Woodward...