Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 35 of 56 FirstFirst ... 25 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 45 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    I hope the city has thought about this. I would hate to live anywhere near the arena during an event.
    Everyone who knows anything about urban planning has been saying this for years. Arenas are terrible for neighborhood livability. That's why, in healthy cities, they're traditionally placed away from urban residential neighborhoods.

If you live in those townhouses across Woodward, there is absolutely no benefit to a flood of honking horns every few days, during evening rush hour, no less. You're basically a prisoner in your home, watching suburban fatties scream, litter and urinate in your bushes.

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    Apparently there's an announcement coming this morning regarding yet another franchise moving into LCA. Announcement coming in about an hour, any guesses as to who or what this could be? Possibly a return of the Detroit Drive?
    Just Kid Rock everybody. We can all go home now.

Sorry but when can we let go of Kid Rock and Eminem?

Four kid Rock shows to open the building!!!!! LMAO Thank Goodness they had a press conference for this.

Quote Originally Posted by 123456789 View Post
    Four kid Rock shows to open the building!!!!! LMAO Thank Goodness they had a press conference for this.
    Lmao... Typical Ilitch bs

Quote Originally Posted by 123456789 View Post
    Kid Rock opening the Pizza Pizza Park. At least they didn't go with a monster truck rally?

Keep it classy, Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    Lmao... Typical Ilitch bs

The more I hear Chris talk, the more convinced I am that he is going to turn out to be a real donkey. There is absolutely no accountability in the Red Wings organization anymore. Management operates as if there is no ownership group to answer to at this time. Should be real interesting to see if the hockey teams downward spiral continues, how long will it take to make some actual changes.

It's a pretty standard operating procedure now to open these new arenas with big musical acts. I think Jay Z did Barclay's in Brooklyn awhile back. Either way, a press conference to announce it is pretty lame.

This is a GREAT shot , however I can forsee [[sp) Parking being a issue in that area very soon.
    People aren't going to want to pay $20.00+ dollars to park and will be look all over the place for street parking. I hope the city has thought about this. I would hate to live anywhere near the arena during an event.
    When I lived in LA we had permit parking all over the place. I can see this happening in the area around the LCA .
    I lived near the Hollywood bowl and hated when there was something going on.
    You're right. Most streets on this side of Woodward have no parking restrictions and it always got busy during events in the past. Luckily for condo owners at Crosswinds, they have 1 or 2 parking spots allocated in private garages with additional parking directly behind.

This is a GREAT shot , however I can forsee [[sp) Parking being a issue in that area very soon.
    People aren't going to want to pay $20.00+ dollars to park and will be looking all over the place for street parking. I hope the city has thought about this. I would hate to live anywhere near the arena during an event.
    When I lived in LA we had permit parking all over the place. I can see this happening in the area around the LCA .
    I lived near the Hollywood bowl and hated when there was something going on.
    Only suckers pay $20 to park. There are numerous $10 lots/garages nearby and the MGM garage is free. Cars parked on the street past the time limit are ticketed now, which is $40, so it would make no sense to even try looking. The only free street parking I'm aware of now is in Brush Park.

http://www.districtdetroit.com/live-web-cam

The steel is now rising for the residential building just west of the arena. I'm glad this building wasn't put on hold! Are they progressing with the townhomes along Clifford Street?

That's going to be a residential building? Squeezed between a garage and an arena. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    That's going to be a residential building? Squeezed between a garage and an arena. Yikes.
    Yup

I would have pitched for Aretha Franklin as the inaugural music act.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I would have pitched for Aretha Franklin as the inaugural music act.
    She's busy finishing up the national anthem from the Lions game on Thanksgiving

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    She's busy finishing up the national anthem from the Lions game on Thanksgiving
    LOL. Well done.

The area, somewhere in District Detroit, is getting a Comerica office.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...t-st/97244140/

"In other parts of the downtown area, a new Comerica office will be built near the future Little Caesars Arena, the massive sports and entertainment venue that opens this fall. The bank didn’t specify a location or a date."

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Everyone who knows anything about urban planning has been saying this for years. Arenas are terrible for neighborhood livability. That's why, in healthy cities, they're traditionally placed away from urban residential neighborhood.
    I guess that explains the residential tower building boom around the TD Banknorth Garden in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    I guess that explains the residential tower building boom around the TD Banknorth Garden in Boston.
    No kidding. So are the 1000+ residentials built/planned within 1/2 mile of the arena just coincidence?

Everyone who knows anything about urban planning has been saying this for years. Arenas are terrible for neighborhood livability. That's why, in healthy cities, they're traditionally placed away from urban residential neighborhoods.

If you live in those townhouses across Woodward, there is absolutely no benefit to a flood of honking horns every few days, during evening rush hour, no less. You're basically a prisoner in your home, watching suburban fatties scream, litter and urinate in your bushes.
    What does this say about the Eddystone?

Did you [[Bham1982) argue for saving the Eddystone? Or did you indicate that it is 'incompatible' [[or similar sentiments) next to a large arena?

Speaking for me, I would not be interested in living in any of those new residential units or the Eddystone.

Maybe three or four blocks away, but not one... [[on one QLine stop).
    Last edited by emu steve; January-31-17 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    No, it explains your inability to distinguish between correlation and causation.

The fact that buildings are built around an arena does not "prove" that the arena made a positive contribution to the neighborhood, or "caused" the construction of said buildings.

I used to live near a Brooklyn jail, which is now surrounded by superluxury condo developments. We talking $2 million 2-bedrooms, just a few feet from prisoners. The jail is a net-negative to the neighborhood, and didn't cause the luxury construction.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    No kidding. So are the 1000+ residentials built/planned within 1/2 mile of the arena just coincidence?
    What do you mean by "coincidence"? Why do you think it's unusual that an underdeveloped corner of downtown Boston, filled with empty lots, would eventually fill in with construction, in the midst of a nationwide urban luxury condo boom?

And even stranger, why do you think that construction occurred specifically because of an arena, which has been in that same neighborhood since 1928? Bizarre, almost Trumpian logic.

What do you mean by "coincidence"? Why do you think it's unusual that an underdeveloped corner of downtown Boston, filled with empty lots, would eventually fill in with construction, in the midst of a nationwide urban luxury condo boom?

And even stranger, why do you think that construction occurred specifically because of an arena, which has been in that same neighborhood since 1928? Bizarre, almost Trumpian logic.
    I mean TD Garden doesn't help your argument either that cities build their arenas outside the city center. In fact, the Garden is a fine example of integrating well with an urban location without being a black hole for pedestrian activity. There's a T stop and a neighborhood across Causeway that heads in downtown. But it's still apart from downtown.

I'm saying that the LCA certainly helped boost investment around it. Those lots and abandoned apartments remained vacant for decades.

So, was it just sheer coincidence that all this development occurred simultaneously or are the same forces responsible for the boom directly and literally footsteps away from the new arena? IMO, there's no discounting the impact LCA has on developing midtown..........certainly hasn't hurt and for those claiming arenas are a deterrent to residential development need to explain what's going on

I'm saying that the LCA certainly helped boost investment around it. Those lots and abandoned apartments remained vacant for decades.
    Again, why do you make such an assumption?

There's been an arena since 1928. You really think the arena caused the condo development, rather than the economic boom in core Boston causing the development? You really think that if there were no arena, no one would want a condo in the neighborhood? Seriously?

So, was it just sheer coincidence that all this development occurred simultaneously
    I don't know what you mean by "coincidence" or "simultaneously". Again, arena has been there since 1928. U.S. downtowns started really revitalizing around 15 years ago, and Boston, alongside most prime cities, started seeing condos going up on vacant lots. There's no obvious reason why people would prefer luxury condos in proximity to hockey arenas.

IMO, there's no discounting the impact LCA has on developing midtown..........certainly hasn't hurt and for those claiming arenas are a deterrent to residential development need to explain what's going on
    Given the Midtown was doing well long before LCA, there's absolutely reason to question whether LCA is a net positive. Why would you think that residential development would be aided by a sports arena? Wealthy people generally prioritize proximity to Applebees, jello shot bars, barf and piss, honking horns and Kid Rock tailgates?

Given the Midtown was doing well long before LCA, there's absolutely reason to question whether LCA is a net positive. Why would you think that residential development would be aided by a sports arena? Wealthy people generally prioritize proximity to Applebees, jello shot bars, barf and piss, honking horns and Kid Rock tailgates?
    Ah yes because the Cass Corridor had a wonderful reputation. Truly the Park Ave. of Detroit!

Page 35 of 56 FirstFirst ... 25 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 45 ... LastLast